View Full Version : does anyone know how to do that thing

05-06-2008, 06:33 AM
which is hard to explain by writing it, but its kind of like duh-duh, duh duh-de, de.. and then you start your song, kinda like a novelty way of begining your songs, sweetafton23 does it at the begining of the song on one of her subscriber number videos, i cant google it, because as you can see i havent a clue what its called lol, just wondering if anyone could hazard a guess to what the hell im on about. Cheers!

05-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Like a vamp or a turnaround?

05-06-2008, 06:44 AM
aha a think so, if im right in what they mean lol

05-06-2008, 06:46 AM
In blues, I think you are referring to a turnaround. In Hawaiian music, it's called a vamp.

05-06-2008, 06:47 AM
ohh rightt, that'll help, cheers

05-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Just link the sweetafton23 video that you're talking about.

Howlin Hobbit
05-06-2008, 06:56 AM
If I'm interpreting correctly, it's something I use in several places in 12th Street Rag (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85mCIJwhfRE).

Sometimes it's just a single note lick (single note as in "one note at a time, not a chord" even though you use several notes).

Other times it's a run up of a chord (like taking the G7 and going up by half-steps).

Check the video linked above and tell me if that's what you're talking about.

05-06-2008, 06:56 AM

when she starts playin