Metronome

GreatGazukes

Reaction score
So following recomendations to get a metronome, I have been looking at these ticking instruments. There are two mechanical ones I have found one is a regular size and the other is a more expensive compact one that would be useful if I wanted to travel with it.

The question is, will I want to take it somewhere?

If I could get some feedback on the usefulness of a metronome in the real world, I would be very appreciative. All information will be gratefully received.

I think I'd prefer mechanical to digital.

Thanks for your musings on my musings, Tony

bump. I'm a little surprised there's so little talk of metronomes. MGM doesn't even sell them.

I think I'd prefer mechanical to digital.

I have both an mechanical one (with the arm that swings back and forth) and an electronic one (with a beepy noise) and I find that I much prefer the latter. It's not as charming, that's for sure. But it's much more accurate, and you can set finer tempos with it. You don't need a flat spot to set it on. It's smaller.

It also provides an A=440 tuning note, which is nice in a pinch. Of course, nowadays, you can get clip-on tuners that have a metronome function built-in. That's probably the way I'd go were I to do it over again.

JJ

If you have an iPod touch or iPhone, there is a great app called Tempo. It has a lot of great features and works as well as many $100+ metronomes.

We recently started using this free online metronome when we practice at home. Haven't tried it yet on the notebook when were traveling though.
http://www.webmetronome.com/
Also, there is this link on the webmetronome website about the different types, if you still want to buy one.
http://metronomes.net/

Yes, software metronomes are a good way to test if you find them useful. If you usually practice near your computer, that may be all you need. I seldom take a metronome along with me ... unless I sometimes need to set exact tempos when rehearsing with a group, or when playing for dancers.

The mechanical wind-up ones are fun to use, and the natural visual cue of a swinging pendulum is satisfying. But they can be prone to bumps and shocks and eventual problems. And the little ones, like the Taktell minis I used to sell, had a tendency to syncopate (uneven beats) or just conk out.

All in all, digital metronomes are less "organic" but more practical. As JJ said, you get lots of useful features - volume control, tuning pitch, tap-in tempos, continuously variable tempo, multi-tone beat patterns, earphone for quiet use. For example, the Korg MA-30 is a popular choice. It's inexpensive, compact, fairly loud, and pretty much shock-proof and foolproof.

I guess a clip-on tuner combo could be handy. I just prefer a dedicated metronome I can place anywhere, and use with any instrument. But if I used an iPhone, the iPhone metronome apps I've seen and tried would do nicely, too.

Hope that helps!

I have a Sabine "Zipbeat" and really like it.

Portable, loud, has different tones that can be set for different beats.

Top Bottom