Amigo ukuleles?

FourChordWonder

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with these ukes? I've come across theses listed on ebay for around $50-$60 and claim to have a solid spruce top. Then I noticed Austin Bazaar is selling the tenor and soprano models for the stupid low price of $34.95 each. Since I live near Austin I can drive down to the store and pick one up in person rather than pay the $10 shipping on top of sales tax. I know Amigo makes some decent low end guitars but I don't see how they can make a solid top uke for so cheap. The review on amazon said that the tenor model is actually about concert sized but doesn't go into much detail on sound and playability.

So has anyone had any experience with these and can tell me if it would be worth the 45 minute drive? Here's a few of listings on ebay with decent pictures:
Tenor
Soprano
Baritone

Some might be turned off by the blonde fretboard and bridge but I kind of like it. It reminds me of the "albino" guitars rondo sells.

I don't want to make a trip down specifically for these if the ukes are complete crap. I wouldn't expect big K sound from these but I'm just looking for an upgrade from my makala soprano.

Last edited:
I haven't tried an Amigo, but I would try and find out what wood is used for the fret board. The fret board should be made out of a hard wood, like rosewood or ebony. If it is made out of a soft wood like pine, or spruce, you will find the fret board will show wear much faster.
–Lori

I have one of each size Hora ukuleles (Amigos are made in Romania by Hora), and they were well worth the price I paid. That said, the saddles all need replacing with some harder material that is better fitted to the slots. Also the spruce top on the soprano is too thick (about 1/8").

The fretboards on the soprano and baritone are a dark (perhaps stained) hardwood, but a light hardwood on the tenor. It looks something like alder.

I had one of their travel guitars - sort of a lute shape. It played well enough. It smelled like glue. It left me feeling kind of ho-hum and I gladly gave it away. It was...meh... ok.

I have one of each size Hora ukuleles (Amigos are made in Romania by Hora), and they were well worth the price I paid. That said, the saddles all need replacing with some harder material that is better fitted to the slots. Also the spruce top on the soprano is too thick (about 1/8").

The fretboards on the soprano and baritone are a dark (perhaps stained) hardwood, but a light hardwood on the tenor. It looks something like alder.

They seem to have some decent reviews in that thread, so for $35 I guess I could chance it and maybe upgrade the hardware. If nothing else I could scrap it for parts. I need a neck for my project uke anyway.

Did the tenor come with any kind of finish on the fretboard like with maple or is it smooth to the touch like rosewood or ebony? It looks kind of rough in the photos.

Top Bottom