Mele a Bargain?

Paul December

Reaction score
Not much talk about Mele here...
...I noticed they now sell directly on eBay and their own page. Prices for an all-wood uke only seem like a $100 more than a similar import. Am I missing something?

I don't think your missing anything.

From all I have read they are a great deal. I think Honu has much high quality Koa, but the Mele's are "hand" made. They also reinforce the necks on the tenors and baritones. Mele also offer a concert pineapple which is very rare these days. I

debating between a Mainland and Mele for quite awhile and ended up going for the Mainland. I think I will be getting a Mele in the future, especially if they have another sale.

haolejohn will have a thing or two to say about them. He is practically the Mele spokeperson here on UU. I have played a 6 string tenor a while back. It seemed like a fine instrument, i just did not get the feel of the 6 string sound.

I like how, on their site, you have options to choose from for almost all their ukes.

From all I have read they are a great deal. I think Honu has much high quality Koa, but the Mele's are "hand" made.

Basically ALL ukes are hand made...even the chinese indonesian and other imports....all Hawaiian made are also Hand Made May be some have machined necks but all "hand made".

Not much talk about Mele here...
...I noticed they now sell directly on eBay and their own page. Prices for an all-wood uke only seem like a $100 more than a similar import. Am I missing something?

Meles are the BEST import IMO. I think they don't get a lot of press b/c they aren't sold by many dealers that frequent here. Most folks buy whatever is recommended by the masses which isn't always the best thing. I am very happy with my Meles that I have owned. As a matter of fact while looking for a K brand, I decided to keep my Mele b/c I simply thought it sounded better. Meles are the best kept ukulele secret. Very well made and very affordable for what you get. I compare them to Takamine guitars. So basically you are missing something. Your missing one of the best ukuleles out there. You can get a mainland or a honu or a pono and be happy but you woud be missing something that can only be had by getting a Mele:)

From all I have read they are a great deal. I think Honu has much high quality Koa, but the Mele's are "hand" made.

Basically ALL ukes are hand made...even the chinese indonesian and other imports....all Hawaiian made are also Hand Made May be some have machined necks but all "hand made".
I don't know how to respond to this without sounding abrasive. Anyways there is no getting around using machines but there is a difference from a mass produced with little human contact vs. a majprity hand made instrument.

Mele also offer a concert pineapple which is very rare these days.

I think I will be getting a Mele in the future, especially if they have another sale.

Yes, the concert pineapple is what caught my eye.
Sale? ...was it a good one?

I have a concert Koa pineapple, and I'm very happy with it. :D

I've got a concert pineapple uke (Makapili), and it is a deeper,richer, louder sound than a regular concert uke.
But I would not confuse its sound with my tenor uke.

Meles are the BEST import IMO. I think they don't get a lot of press b/c they aren't sold by many dealers that frequent here. Most folks buy whatever is recommended by the masses which isn't always the best thing. I am very happy with my Meles that I have owned. As a matter of fact while looking for a K brand, I decided to keep my Mele b/c I simply thought it sounded better. Meles are the best kept ukulele secret. Very well made and very affordable for what you get. I compare them to Takamine guitars. So basically you are missing something. Your missing one of the best ukuleles out there. You can get a mainland or a honu or a pono and be happy but you woud be missing something that can only be had by getting a Mele:)

I didn't mean to put Mele down. When people say Hand made, I think of made by hand. Clearly they are made with power tools used by hand, which is superior to factory assmebly line made, IMO

Yes, the concert pineapple is what caught my eye.
Sale? ...was it a good one?

Yes it was. I think they are still having a sale on their tenors right now. Also call them. You can score good deals on scratch and dents. I got my double puka solid koa tenor that was pimped out in bling ($999 original price tag) for just a little over $400.

I didn't mean to put Mele down. When people say Hand made, I think of made by hand. Clearly they are made with power tools used by hand, which is superior to factory assmebly line made, IMO

You didn't put Mele down. At least I didn't think you did. maybe someone else b/c I know you will one day have one:)

You didn't put Mele down. At least I didn't think you did. maybe someone else b/c I know you will one day have one:)

Ya , I sped through the post and got it wrong. I dig Mele and plan to get one soon. Some of the Tenors are on sale, but the holiday sale is over and I am bummed I missed it.

Ya , I sped through the post and got it wrong. I dig Mele and plan to get one soon. Some of the Tenors are on sale, but the holiday sale is over and I am bummed I missed it.

Yeah me too. I get my last financial aid check sometime this month and I want to buy myself a mele for a graduation present. I may have to wait b/c I got to save some of the money for living expenses.

I'm excited to see this thread. We're headed for Maui in 2 weeks and I fully intend to come back with one. I assume you can just go to the store/workshop? A friend of mine said they picked one up for their little girl at the farmer's market there.

How good was the sale?
Do they have them only once a year?

They had an anniversery sale. Right now I think their tenors are on sale for like $50 off or something like that. I'd call them if you don't like the price on the website. tell Cheryl that haolejohn referred you. It might not help ya but it might:)

I'm excited to see this thread. We're headed for Maui in 2 weeks and I fully intend to come back with one. I assume you can just go to the store/workshop? A friend of mine said they picked one up for their little girl at the farmer's market there.

You can visit the Mele store. It is on kaahumano ave. Just before the bridge going into wailuku town if you are coming from the airport. They are great folks.

Top Bottom