Gloss vs Matte vs Satin

Gloss vs Satin Vs Matte finish

• Total voters

Sic_Rob

Reaction score
I was readin a blog on UU recently and found a post by someone saying he was ordering a new Uku in Satin rather than Gloss because he thought the Gloss would curb the sound a bit on the uku. Is this true? Can anyone add some light on this for me?

I think it depends more on the finishing process then the final product. I am far from an expert on this but I can share my experince. I was communicating with a pretty well know ukulele luither about having a ukulele built. My biggest concern was the sound then looks. I had requested the Satin/Matte finish as his website informed me that it had half the finish coat of the gloss. He then told me that he needed to update the website because he had worked his gloss finish to have the same amount of finish coats as the Satin. So it was a wash on affecting the sound. I chose the gloss because It was reccomended and looked so cool.

So If the builder has to apply more finish coats for the gloss then the Matte then It would make sense that the sound would be affected, maybe very little but still there.

I think Kanilea has a pretty good process for gloss with the UV cureing, I think it requires less finish then some other processes.

Personally, I like the gloss. I can not tell if the sound is different, well not so that you will really hear the difference. I think it
is a matter of taste and the look you really want to have. I also have a matte finish uke (Makala) Sounds really good but I really like the gloss look.

Hi Melissa82, Did I accidently post this thread twice? I know I have a poll on it but i didn't think I put it out there twice. Sorry if I did.

hi again. thanks for the link. i had not seen that Thread.

I think it depends more on the finishing process then the final product.
The thickness of the finish has more of an affect than the style. Any of these plastic/urethane finishes will restrict sound somewhat beacuse they prevent the wood from expanding and contracting to some degree. The thicker the finish, the greater the binding effect. Most satin/matte finishes are merely the same material as the gloss but with anti-gloss additives.

If you play a lot with a satin/matte finish uke and have the habit (as I do) of anchoring some fingers on the top when picking, you'll quite often see that area become glossy as the fingers polish it. Which means that cleaning and polishing your uke with a clotha will slowly give it more of a glossy look.

I've read comments that gloss finishes are easier to clean.

The most expressive/natural finish is a polished oil.

I like gloss b/c it looks good. Especially Kanilea's UV gloss finish. Those ukes just glow. But I like a satin or silk neck. My favorite neck finish is on my telecaster which has a thin nitro-only finish.

I'm no authority on the finishes and how they affect sound but fingerprints show up less on matte so I picked that. The natural look appeals to me.
Ernest

Top Bottom