new uke soon [soon :)] decide with me

Hobgoblin Steve

Reaction score
heres my requirements:

Concert body (no pickup, dont use it ever)
Solid wood
budget: 450$

What I'd really like is a KoAloha concert, but its just not in the budget (unless someone wants to sell me one ;) )

so what are my options?
If I'm going Mainland, I'm waiting till the spring to preorder a Mango.
I can also think about doing a KoAlanna koa concert - but these are incredibly hard to find.

Steve,

I think you can get a factory 2nd KoAloha Concert for under $600. If it were me, I would wait until I saved up the extra and got what I wanted. You'll end up getting it anyway so you'll save in the long run!

What about the makapili concert pineapple uke..considering it myself when I have the dosh for a concert..?

Steve,

I think you can get a factory 2nd KoAloha Concert for under $600. If it were me, I would wait until I saved up the extra and got what I wanted. You'll end up getting it anyway so you'll save in the long run!

I agree, hold on a little longer and save up some money, you are already pretty close. Like Ronnie Aloha said, you know you want the Koaloha so it is get it sooner rather than way later!!!!

oh that Mele koa concert is nice. but it says "six strings" with the option to "select" or "six strings" if I leave it at "select" does that mean 4 strings?

oh that Mele koa concert is nice. but it says "six strings" with the option to "select" or "six strings" if I leave it at "select" does that mean 4 strings?

Yes it does, There is an extra charge for 6 string. Now that you are looking at Mele I don't mind referring them to you. If you don't go with the mele, just save your money a little longer and get that koAloha. You can't go wrong with either one. BTW, I have owned both solid koa and a solid koa top solid mahaghany mele and I thought that the koa top one sounded better. Just my opinion. Here is a comparison i did between the two. They were tenors though. http://www.youtube.com/user/keonimanua#p/u/4/Oi4r-y979ro
and here is the double puka with ko'olau golds on it (no longer for sale, decided to keep it)
http://www.youtube.com/user/keonimanua#p/u/0/nw7e7gpbO3M
and here is a Koaloha concert and the Mele
http://www.youtube.com/user/keonimanua#p/u/1/IYAhNR1Mrkw

Last edited:
I've passed up maybe 5 KoAloha concerts on Craigslist and FMMM in the past year, there was even one here IIRC. All were $350-$450. I'd wait and buy used, especially if you can find one local. I've bought 10 ukes, 9 used, all half retail or less. My fave is a white label Kamaka concert, who knows how many owners it's had, but I sure hope it's mine til I go.

I think I'm going to wait till I can grab a KoAloha used, I really like the headstock and crown bridge, and even thought the Mele is tempting I really like the KoAlohas

I think I'm going to wait till I can grab a KoAloha used, I really like the headstock and crown bridge, and even thought the Mele is tempting I really like the KoAlohas

You made a good choice. Of course if you had of gotten that Mele you would have made a good choice as well. Other than my cheap budget ukes I use as loaners all I own is meles and koalohas.

I've passed up maybe 5 KoAloha concerts on Craigslist and FMMM in the past year, there was even one here IIRC. All were $350-$450. I'd wait and buy used, especially if you can find one local. I've bought 10 ukes, 9 used, all half retail or less. My fave is a white label Kamaka concert, who knows how many owners it's had, but I sure hope it's mine til I go.

Id love to grab one on craigslist but the NY craigslist scene is terrible for ukes.

Top Bottom