The Kinks played ukulele ?

ukulelegal

Reaction score
far away from others who play ukulele...it sucks
More like the Kinks featured a ukulele in one of their videos...I don't hear it on the track.

It looks to me like the Sharp Suited Ukulele player was a symbol of the old establishment of entertainers (George Formby et al) and there was a look of hostility towards someone who was winning over the public so well. Although, it's the Kinks, so who knows?!
Crazy how it all comes round in circles. Nowadays a sharp suited Ukulele player would be going against the establishment of modern music. (ala Mr. B)

It looks to me like the Sharp Suited Ukulele player was a symbol of the old establishment of entertainers (George Formby et al) and there was a look of hostility towards someone who was winning over the public so well. Although, it's the Kinks, so who knows?!
Crazy how it all comes round in circles. Nowadays a sharp suited Ukulele player would be going against the establishment of modern music. (ala Mr. B)

That's it exactly! The "Well Respected Man!" Uh-oh, gotta go... New song to learn...

Davies: I think that's because music hall is, in rock and roll terms, quite an uncool thing to be associated with. It's hardly the most chic thing in the world, whereas the blues is. But music hall was undeniably an important influence. And I'd put someone [English comic singer and banjo-ukulele player] George Fromby right up there with [American bluesman] Big Bill Broonzy. I feel they're connected in some way--albeit only through me. Some of the acoustic guitar stuff I do resonates with the George Fromby style. And I'd also say that a lot of stuff Pete Townshend did was also Formbyesque.

http://www.kindakinks.net/misc/articles/gtrworld.html

btw: the ukulele player IS Ray Davies...

Last edited:
Brian May from Queen has also mentioned George Formby as an influence and says that he played his dad's banjo ukulele long before he ever got a guitar. I think there is quite a large English Music Hall influence on The Beatles ("Honey Pie", "When I'm 64", etc).
And I don't know if there is ukulele on the original, but "Sunny Afternoon" by The Kinks is a whopping good uke song!

You can hear tha music hall influnce in a lot of Kinks tracks. It right through British pop, really - think Small Faces - and then in the 90's(?) the the Britpop crowd are/were very vaudeville.
We do Lazy Sunday Afternoon and Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon. great uke songs.

Top Bottom