D-Chord Help, oh and hi!

JackT

Reaction score
Hi guys, just got a uke yesterday, thought I'd register here. Got a few tunes down, but I'm having to avoid D chord, anyone know any alteratives to holding down GCE on the second fret? Help much appreciated. :)

How are you with barre chords? You can do:

A:5
E:5
C:6
G:7

They were pretty quick replies, I like that full barre on the second fret with the pinkie on the a string on the fifth, its alot quicker for me than the others, thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
For quick chord changes, don't give up on the 2220 D-chord yet. It can easily be done with one finger even, but the trick is to do one-finger pushups with your pointer finger for about a week, so the top section becomes an L-shape bent the other way. That way, you will not touch and mute the A-string.

Gently nudging the finger into a pre-bent piece of steel pipe for about the same period of time will also work. No pain, no D-chord, you've only had the uke for a few days...

LOL@UkeNinja!

Really though, you should push your ring finger into the pre-bent pipe. That way you can do the barre shape based on the D chord all the way up the neck.

Remember though, if you get a sudden pain and hear a snap, you're pushing too hard. :rolleyes:

i used to not be able to do d with one finger, i couldnt bend it enough towards the fingertip, but it came with practice. you cant avoid those songs, if anything, you should be looking for those songs.

Another thought here for those having trouble with the 1st position D (2220) chord and the E (4442) shapes -- in these cases it is not critical that you fully depress the top (G) string as it rings the same note as your bottom (A) string in these shapes. In the case of the E (4442) chord, I get a good contact with the bottom/CEA strings, while the tip of my middle finger just touches the (G) string, enough to mute it when strummed. The resulting chord is the same, and with time your finger will eventually adapt to bending this way and you'll be able to get a fast and firm press on all 3 top strings. This is a little thing that I have been trying to focus on lately -- with some time and persistence I hope to get fingers that bend backwards, just like Guting :).

Hope this helps -- have fun!

Last edited:
I thought that whole pipe thing was a joke at first lol, but the 2220 is seriously easy now. Thanks and I guess its true, barre's like that just arn't easy until you've almost broken your finger.

Hey...come on...you guys are kidding about the finger in the pre-bent pipe aren't you? Please tell me you are!

For quick chord changes, don't give up on the 2220 D-chord yet. It can easily be done with one finger even, but the trick is to do one-finger pushups with your pointer finger for about a week, so the top section becomes an L-shape bent the other way. That way, you will not touch and mute the A-string.

Gently nudging the finger into a pre-bent piece of steel pipe for about the same period of time will also work. No pain, no D-chord, you've only had the uke for a few days...

ah hahahaha! this is the greatest thing i've read on this forum yet!!!

Hi guys, just got a uke yesterday, thought I'd register here. Got a few tunes down, but I'm having to avoid D chord, anyone know any alteratives to holding down GCE on the second fret? Help much appreciated. :)

thats the d chord yeah?? im not to good at remembering chords names.. At the moment i mute the bottom string because my middle finger can't get that angle yet, so i just mute it.. hopefull, soon enough, i can do it without muting because it sounds better

Top Bottom