Me and my Cracked Uke

kansaman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, well my lack of experience with instruments is going to cost me, I didn't think it was that dry here but I guess the colder temps this year and the furnace running more has caught up with one of my uke's. Specifically my Fender Pa'ini which is a solid mahogany tenor uke, I had a string break a little while back so I went online and ordered some aquila strings and waited for them to show up, after I changed the strings the buzz came with the new strings and I couldn't figure out how come I had a buzz on those strings when I didn't before, I built up the nut with a business card that I cut a strip off of and that took care of the buzz. Now I believe it to be that the neck warped a little causing this. I pulled the Uke out last nite to play on it some and it has a crack on the top of the Uke. :(
I have inspected my other uke's and see no signs of drying issues but then this was my only solid wood uke. Suggestions on repairs for cracks (actually one pretty good crack) and warped necks? also, does anyone use case humidifiers? Is this instrument toast? On a side note it still sounds pretty good and is in tune!

thanks,
Charles

Ironically, I just relocated a solid acacia ukulele from California to England, and had a thread about humidity questions about 2 weeks ago. There seems to be a split amongst those who have experienced what you have, those who haven't but use humidifiers, and those who have thus far remained lucky.

I'm not remotely an expert, but environmental cracks tend to be bad, as they pretty much always happen along the grain, and so have a tendency to want to grow. Brutal collisions which crack the wood, but go against the grain, are sometimes no big deal, as they'll almost never get bigger. I have a classical guitar with a genuine hole in the bottom, and a Martin D18 with a hairline crack in the side. The hairline, which you can't see unless you're in the right light at the right angle, is the scary one, and has been braced and glued. The classical guitar crack, which as I say is really a hole, is not concern at all. Damage is done.

If you've fixed the buzz, and it plays in tune, then I'd say it's not dead. The only dead instrument is an unplayable instrument.

But as I say, it might have a tendency to deteriorate given the situation.

I'm sure someone far wiser than me will come along and give better advice. ;)

I think it would be a good idea to let a luthier have a look at that crack. If it's a serious one and there's a possibility the crack will get bigger you could let him fix it.
My Kanile'a also has a crack which was fixed by a luthier even before I bought it and I have to say that it still sounds absolutely wonderful.
I don't think there is any tonal difference, especially when it's repaired professionally.
Of course you'd better ask in front what it'll cost you...

Probably if it sounds okay otherwise and structurally sound, just get that crack repaired so it doesn't spread farther. I took my 195 year old violin to Iowa with me during my college days. It cracked on top from the extreme cold and low humidity. Other than heartbreak at the thought of the damage, there were no lasting ill effects. Sound is fine.

My new solid acacia survived an Alaskan winter at 40% humidity using two planet waves and a dampit, but is now loving life in Iraq with just the two planet waves at 65%. Hygrometers and good humidifiers are cheap and worth it when you've invested 10X as much money in your uke, not to mention the emotional attachment that goes along with any instrument (I still have a five-thousand dollar sax I just can't bear to part with). Hopefully this wasn't a particularly painful lesson, but a lesson nonetheless. Good luck with your humidifying endeavors in the future!

D

Thanks for the info everyone, this was a $300 uke and one I wanted to keep as a collector's item and just pass down to the kids, I also have the Nohea model. I will take it down to the only local instrument repair shop we have here and see what they say, I read a post on a blog about how someone took a sandwich zip lock baggy and put a wet papertowel it, poked holes in one side of the baggy and put into their case. Said this will last up to a week maybe longer before drying out. might give it a try till I work something else out.
On a side note I just got in a couple of days ago the new Boulder Creek RipTide Tenor Uke from MusicGuyMike, I have to say I really like it, sounds pretty sweet, projects well and over all looks good. I was worried as I saw the review that Deach did about this Uke on youtube and just gave it an "all right" review, mine doesn't have the issues his did such as the rough sound holes, the knawled frets or the think lacquer. And with MGM's setup and aquilas strings I'm really happy with this purchase so far, Thanks MGM!

Charles

What about a warranty? Do you have one on this uke? Maybe cracks could be covered.

-Lil

Cracks are only covered if they're due to manufacture error. Humidity problems wouldn't be covered. (At least, not by any manufacturer I know of - which only really covers guitar makers) Saying that, there was an amazing story about a uke manufacturer the other week covering a uke which he didn't have to. But that was a different situation entirely.

In another thread, someone suggested putting half an apple in your case. It dries out, releasing moisture into the case and your uke, and making your uke case smell... well, appley, I suppose. If you try it, post your results. It aroused a lot of curiosity!

WIWAK we used to keep tea kettles full of water on the woodstove. Cheap, useful humidifiers!

I purchased these through Elderly because at the time they were the only one who had them in stock, I think I asked about the warranty at the time and they said there was none but I might contact Fender and see what they say. If they say no I'm not in any worse shape than I was before asking.
What about the Riptide, anyone else buy it yet? what do you think of yours?

Thanks for the info everyone, this was a $300 uke and one I wanted to keep as a collector's item and just pass down to the kids, I also have the Nohea model.
Charles
I really like the look of these Fender ukes. I want to buy one. I can order them thru my local music store but they don't have one for me to try before ordering. I'd really like an electric (Pa'ini) but I'd rather have the Koa wood (Nohea). I love how it looks. But Fender doesn't make an electric Koa. The Koa is laminate but the Mohogany is solid. How do they compare sound wise acoustically? Inquiring minds want to know.

one of the first "Uke Minute"vids with aldrine teaches you how to make a REALLY easy humidifier with a few items, check out the vid (it's supposed to last a few weeks-month (i don't remember exactly)

seems better than a ziploc, but probably not as reliable as a purchased one.
good luck with the crack amigo

BG

I was able to get it replaced by going through a local luthier and them contacting Fender, got the replacement in yesterday!

Top Bottom