Getting the jitters....

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
Well, tonight will be my second visit to the newly-formed local uke group. I had a ball last month, and I'm anxious to go again.

The problem is a bit of stage fright. Tonight's theme is "Island Songs", and we've all been encouraged to submit a song for the group to try. This involves (as best I understand it) selecting an appropriate song, finding a chord and lyrics sheet, making copies of the sheet to share, and getting up in front of the group and teaching/leading the song. Now you know where the problem is! :uhoh:

The song I've chosen is White Sandy Beach, by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. I found a good song and lyric sheet. I added the four chord diagrams (C7, Eb, Ebm and F). I found and added web links to the video of Iz's version, as well as an excellent two-part tutorial from YouTube. I've made the copies. I've been practicing the song.

The problem is a touch of cold feet. I'm not sure how I'll react in front of the group. I certainly don't want to make a fool of myself. It doesn't help that this morning I woke up with the start of a cold with a bad throat. I've never stood up in front of anyone and played before....

Any advice?

hey man, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have a performance every couple of months on trumpet, and I have several things that I do to before a concert just cool myself down and what not, so maybe some of these will work too! :)

1) First of all, stay optimistic! If you think optimisticly about the outcome, it usually ends that way!
2) The obvious: Make sure you can play the song alright hehe, I have the chords and lyrics to the song ( a GREAT choice i think), and it is fairly simple so just make sure that you are comfortable with them. And dont worry to much about your voice! It's a UKULELE club, not voice teachers hehe.
3) Visualize how you would like it to go, even write yourself little notes on a 3 X 6 notecard, sort of like an outline! Just like speech class, you could say. Write the steps of learning the song in the order that you think is best to teach, and use the little card as a guidleline!
4) If you get all full of adrenaline before gettin up in front of the group, a good trick is to press the palms of your hands together with strong pressure. Not only does this direct the "jitters" at each other and cancel them out, it also helps your palms to not sweat so much hehe.
5) Smile! It sounds corny, but when you are smiling, your brain releases a small amount of endorphins, making you feel more comfortable, and more upbeat!

I hope it goes well!!! You might also try bringing in IZ's original video (the one on the beach) and showing it to the club members, just a musical reference. That will make them feel more comfortable bout learning it, AND you will have listened to it oneee last time before teaching it hehe. Good luck! Hope all this helps some! :D

-chase

It's Bb and Bbm instead of Eb and Ebm, isn't it?

The jitters are perfectly normal. You'll do fine. Don't worry about screwing up because if you do, you can always say "sorry, I just screwed up" and then just keep on going. Perfection is not a requirement for teaching people a uke song.

I think it's awesome that you're doing this!

JJ

Chase, thanks so much for the tips! All good advice. I don't think bringing the video will work, as I don't think there is video equipment available there. The bit I like best about what you offered is the part about it being a ukulele group, not a voice group. Maybe I'll get throught this, after all....

Thanks again!

The jitters are perfectly normal. You'll do fine. Don't worry about screwing up because if you do, you can always say "sorry, I just screwed up" and then just keep on going. Perfection is not a requirement for teaching people a uke song.

I think it's awesome that you're doing this!

JJ

You're right, JJ. Bb and Bbm. Just goes to show what nerves will do. And you're right about another thing, too. Perfection is not a requirement.

I'm starting to feel better about this....

You can do it!

Remember you are all there to support each other and have fun.

Not your enemies, your friends!

Perfection is not required or even expected!

Just have fun, and it'll be great.

JT

YESSS!!! JJ's correct, Mailman. Those two chords are definitley Bb and Bbm for White Sandy Beach. Haha, make sure ya write that in or something before the meeting.

--And hey, no problem man! I'm glad I could help in any way!

-chase

Chase;293528 5) Smile! It sounds corny said:
And this may sound corny but to fix that smile say "brush" (as a long word) It'll fix that smile on your face as you start. Hell, I'd get the entire group to do it(a couple of times) to break the ice,build a bit of rapport, you'll having them all laughing and relaxed so you can relax. (me, once i'd got the group used to that, when I made a mistake i'd say brush again loudly instead of the f word, you'll have them in stitches)

Oh, and have fun, remember were all uking cos we are fun people!

Go for it, mate.

Nerves? Jitters? Stage fright? Hah, I don't get them when I'm playing with a band, but the moment the attention is on me personally I freak out. I simply cannot force myself to sing a lead vocal (not that I can sing anyway!), and playing a solo is torture. But I'm gradually building confidence, and I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable starting or leading a tune in a jam, doing the odd solo.

Bite the bullet and push yourself, Mailman. You'll be glad you did.

Don't worry about mistakes. Laugh them off and others will laugh right along with you. Just give it your best shot. You'll do good.

Best of luck. :)

And this may sound corny but to fix that smile say "brush" (as a long word) It'll fix that smile on your face as you start. Hell, I'd get the entire group to do it(a couple of times) to break the ice,build a bit of rapport, you'll having them all laughing and relaxed so you can relax. (me, once i'd got the group used to that, when I made a mistake i'd say brush again loudly instead of the f word, you'll have them in stitches)

Oh, and have fun, remember were all uking cos we are fun people!

I must be doing something wrong. Saying "brush" produces nothing remotely similar to a smile for me. Maybe if I tried it with an Aussy accent?

Go for it, mate.

Nerves? Jitters? Stage fright? Hah, I don't get them when I'm playing with a band, but the moment the attention is on me personally I freak out. I simply cannot force myself to sing a lead vocal (not that I can sing anyway!), and playing a solo is torture. But I'm gradually building confidence, and I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable starting or leading a tune in a jam, doing the odd solo.

Bite the bullet and push yourself, Mailman. You'll be glad you did.

Don't worry about mistakes. Laugh them off and others will laugh right along with you. Just give it your best shot. You'll do good.

Best of luck. :)

Thanks, Rick (and everyone else, too). I'm beginning to think it'll be okay. I guess now I'll find out if I can hold my uke standing up (I've never tried it before). Latest twist....the Mrs. insists I'm sick and shouldn't go at all. I'm going anyway!

What makes doing it easier is doing it more. Like pretty much everything in life. And remember, as many have said, they want to like you. :D

My advice? Relax and have fun.

More advice? If you don't feel well and might at all be contagious, stay home. Nobody wants to catch what you have.

If you do end up attending, have a great time. Uke clubs are awesome. Our members are very supportive of each other. Of course we don't have to stand up and teach anything.

Well, I did it! Everything went all right, I guess. Everyone really seemed to enjoy the song; in fact we played it twice! It didn't sound as good as I had hoped, partially because some people were unfamiliar with the song and didn't understand the phrasing of it. The song has some pronounced pauses, which caused some mix-ups. The timing of chord changes was a bit of a problem in spots, too. Also not sure about the banjuleles in a Bruddah Iz tune....

But the over-all reception was very good, and I'm glad I did it. Next month....love songs!

Yay! Congrats. I just went to my first large (27 people) group this evening. It was a hoot. All sorts of little things went wrong with many of the songs, but no one cared and everyone had a great time.

Congrats on a good show!...next time you get the jitters ..do what I do..picture me naked...seriously it works.

Congratulations! And here's to many more! Though I would advise against the following phrase:

"Could everyone with a banjolele step outside?!"

Nothing is worse than a ukulele evening which ends in a brawl.

Top Bottom