How About a UU Music Compilation?

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
I think it'd be awesome to have a CD filled with uke-centric original songs by the members of UU.

I know it would be a costly endeavor, but I'm just throwing ideas out there.

What do you guys think?

Doesn't have to be costly. The folks on Flea Market Music did it some years back (two years in a row IIRC) and it was pretty cool.

I'd for sure take part in something like this.

The only hard part is coordinating the whole thing. I take it you're volunteering? :rolleyes:

I'll try to do this too. Take some of my improv stuff in my head and make it more structured. Good idea Seeso.

Hmm. I thought this would be a hotter topic. Let me ask a different question: Why is this a bad idea?

Are you thinking about this project as a small UU thing, or as sometihng that would be distributed on a wider scale? As a small endeavor to promote solidarity in the UU community, I think it would be sweet. I really think a small scale project, where the cost could be covered in pre-orders, and any additional sales going for added UU profit stream, would work out well. I for one would not contribute (as I am not really there yet) but I would be able to afford $20 for a disk...

I also like the idea of recording tracks to be hosted on this site for download, but then we have free music hosted on this site in video format and I dont see how hosting MP3s would be all that different?

I say make up a disk of performers... judging from the open mic, we have plenty of talent to make a disc that I can bounce to one the bus.

~Phil

I would support the project... not monetarily (at least, most likely not), as I'm but a poor highschool student/amateur musician, but I would however love to contribute a song, and probably help pulling things together on the organization end... school is almost over for the year, and I will have a ton of free time over the summer that I could devote part of to this.

If other people are wanting to do this... I'm in.

And, come to think of it, it could be released somehow as an actual indie-style album, the profits of which could go to UU.

However, a free collection of tracks that is an 'album' is also a perfectly fine option, in my view.

EDIT

Hmm... didn't see your reply, Phil... apparently, I agree with you on the production topic...

Last edited:
Hmm. I thought this would be a hotter topic. Let me ask a different question: Why is this a bad idea?

i think this is a great idea seeso. but i gots nothing original to contribute. don't have the writing talent.:(

EDIT: i would however be very interested in seeing what you guys can come up with. also, i would support this project in any other possible way.

I see. Some members do not have original stuff to contribute. For those of you that don't have original music, perhaps this compilation effort could give you something to shoot for. For those that have interest in wanting to write songs, anyway.

I'd be willing to help workshop any song ideas into finished pieces.

I don't have a problem with making the project into a free download. I just think it's cooler to have a physical product. It's cool to have something that you can hold in your hands, where you can see your name on it and everything.

As far as the profits going to help UU, I'm on the fence about that. I'd rather the proceeds go to a charity that we can all agree on.

i think this is a great idea seeso. but i gots nothing original to contribute. don't have the writing talent.:(

Well, for those that have the playing talent but not the writing talent (I've got neither), there's always the public domain. Any song written before 1923 should be fair game...

I think it'd be awesome to have a CD filled with uke-centric original songs by the members of UU.

I know it would be a costly endeavor, but I'm just throwing ideas out there.

What do you guys think?

a CD filled with music from UU members? Thats a cool idea Seeso :D If im thinking of it right..

But if you wanted specific people in it and, by chance me, I bags dragon.. only hard tune on ukulele that i can play, just need some work on the strumming patterns...&I cannot sing haha

*edit*
after re-reading what you said, whats uke-centric original songs?

Last edited:
Well, for those that have the playing talent but not the writing talent (I've got neither), there's always the public domain. Any song written before 1923 should be fair game...

I posted this link in another thread, but it bears repeating. Here's a list of public domain tunes supplied by Brian Hefferan and Lynn Hershberger (The Fabulous Heftones) that come complete with recordings and lyric/chord sheets.

I see. Some members do not have original stuff to contribute. For those of you that don't have original music, perhaps this compilation effort could give you something to shoot for. For those that have interest in wanting to write songs, anyway.

Well, for me for example it is not really a problem to write a song. My problem is to sing it. Instrumental songs are usually pretty boring, and all of my YouTube instrumentals live from being well known songs.

I'm a player, not a singer, and therefor not a songwriter

Well, for me for example it is not really a problem to write a song. My problem is to sing it. Instrumental songs are usually pretty boring, and all of my YouTube instrumentals live from being well known songs.

I'm a player, not a singer, and therefor not a songwriter

this i know :] i am a begginer uke player [ half year ] but i know, i never be a good singer :D

Online distribution probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I know of several online communities that have done just that. there are a couple of interesting Robyn Hitchcock tributes still floating around done this way.

With downloadable artwork & the files encoded in a lossless format like .flac so that they could be easily decoded into regular discs by folks at home on their own if they so choose. Very workable.

Actual burned hard copies also don't need to be too pricey either depending on how many people would be willing to pony up the time and cash for burning and printing and assembly. Biggest cost would be postage, really. I had a friend that put together a three disc set of rarities for a Yahoo group devoted to the Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 (a San Francisco band of the 80's - 90's) a few years back so I know that it's very doable. Just a bit more work intensive for some volunteers. How this would work would entirely depend on how many copies would need to be made for interested parties. (at over 100 copies it might even start to make sense to look at a factory duplication which would still be only a few bucks per disc...)

I might lean towards the former because of the amount of coordination and work involved in the second, but either could be done.

I also think that so long as it's pretty much a private deal (say for members only) for personal use and nobody's making a profit from the recordings, cover songs might fall under the heading of "fair use". Certainly if the tracks are hosted with the understanding that if somebody bitches they can be easily removed I don't really see a problem with that. (think Youtube.)
I mean, with one tiny ukulele website in the giant universe of the Interwebs I don't see it garnering a whole lot of concern with the RIAA. Selling them would be the point where the things could get a bit dicier.
Besides not everybody who plays composes as well. And I'm sure everybody has some ace up their sleeve they'd like to highlight. It just wouldn't be a problem until it was.

Top Bottom