Myrtle & ???

Steiner

Reaction score
Would Oregon Myrtle back and sides go better with a Spruce or Cedar top?

Thanks

I'm going to try and build one. I have help from someone with woodworking experience, but I'm basically a novice.

My dream uke is Oregon myrtle with Port Orford cedar top, Oregon claro walnut neck and binding, Oregon maple fretboard and bridge...I actually have some of the parts - the myrtle and the Port Orford cedar. Just need someone to build it, because I've realized I don't have the talent to do it myself...

Steiner, I would say go for whatever you think looks better. In the end, I don't think any tone differences will be noticeable.

Steiner, I would say go for whatever you think looks better. In the end, I don't think any tone differences will be noticeable.

If different Spruces have tonal differences, a WRC top will definitely have tonal differences from a Spruce top.

Personally, the Myrtle Spruces I've built have been tonally and sonically great.

Personally, I don't really like working with WRC, so my preference as a builder would lean towards Spruce. However, one of my WRC topped Koa B/S sounds almost Martinish, in a good way.

Just my $.02 - Aaron

That all Oregon uke would be a winner if build well. All those woods are just wonderful.
Rick

I'll send you the wood I have and let you build it for me...as a favor to you, of course... :biglaugh:

I probably shouldn't say anything because my experience is practically non-existant but I just built a myrtle/spruce concert uke. I know that how one is built makes more difference to the sound than what it's built from but this myrtle/spruce concert is really "bright" sounding. After playing it for a while anything else I play sounds almost muted. The cedar might tone that down a notch.

Either wood is fine. Watch out for cedar though....it dents very easily.
Be sure to keep your bench clean or any spec of dust will dent the top. Keep your clothes iron handy to stem them out

I have recently completed two ukes out of Myrtle with bearclaw Sitka spruce tops. Both have been very bright and loud as well as looking great.
Brad

My plans are to go:
Myrtle back & sides, Spruce top, Koa Bindings, Mahogany Neck, Ebony fretboard,& bridge. Hopefully I can get it together and it actually sounds nice. The thing I'm dreading most is doing the final set-up.

This Amy model concert with a bearclaw Sitka spruce top and myrtle sides and back will be shipped to a lady in Eugene, OR. in a few days. I really like this combination.
Brad

Attachments

• MTL 002.jpg
    MTL 002.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 22
  • MTL 005.jpg
    MTL 005.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 22
  • MTL 007.jpg
    MTL 007.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 16
  • MTL 009.JPG
    MTL 009.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 17
Depends on not only what sound you're going for, but in large part who's building it, and what they'll do with it.

-Aaron

Absolutely agree. The instrument is a complex system with a lot of variables. It is impossible to answer the question "spruce vs. cedar" without knowing something about the other variables. For our instruments, there is a large tonal difference between spruce tops and cedar tops. The spruce tops are brighter and the cedar is warmer. For our tenors and smaller, we prefer POC with myrtle (one of our favorite combos). For our baritones, we have build with both cedar and spruce, and while they are quite different (tonally), we like them both depending upon the music and playing style.

Top Bottom