Is a less than ideal Pineapple Sunday still the right choice?

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
So I admit it, after being solely on the Kanile'a and Kamaka sides, I finally succumbed to the allure of the KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. I spent this past weekend driving to almost a dozen different stores (and looking online) to find the elusive delicious koa goodness. I decided that I really wanted to get a pineapple ukulele, and KoAloha's appealed to me the most...although the Kamaka traditional pineapple is a second choice (and for a lot less money). But I thought since I already have a Kamaka, it would be better to add a KoAloha to the family.

Finally, I was able to locate one at the store where I take ukulele lessons. The great news is that I was able to get it for 20% off. The less good news is that it isn't "perfect." Now before anyone takes offense, let me be clear that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with this instrument. It is beautiful and it sounds like angels singing. But it isn't the "perfect" Pineapple Sunday for me.

I fell in love with the original design, the one with the bowtie bridge and the deep grooves in the pineapple "top." As one store proprietor told me, she will never order them again because she doesn't like the style of etched laser grooves in the top or the new bridge. I should point out that I am the type of person that is highly easily influenced by little thoughts like that. As I took home the new proof of UAS, all I could hear was her voice in my head telling me it isn't the one I wanted.

Let me state the couple of things that I'm not entirely in love with:

1) There is a two tone nature to the wood grain on the top. A wide swatch of orange is on the top left portion of the ukulele. Before anyone gets mad at me, yes, I know koa grains very a great deal, and in fact, I have seen many ukuleles, by all manufacturers that were less even than this one. I just know it would probably bug me because I do worry about stuff like that. My Kanile'a also lacks symmetry and it still occasionally bugs me.

2) The bridge isn't the bowtie style. There is nothing functionally or design oriented wrong about this one, I just really liked the bowtie one.

3) The etched grooves are not as deep (or to me anyway) as aesthetically pleasing as the old style.

4) This will cause me to stretch my budget a little more than I like right now, but I didn't think I would get another opportunity to get one of these on sale, as they are both impossible to find and never discounted. Case in point, to complete the purchase, I have to borrow some money from my spouse (who will hold the Pineapple hostage until my debt is paid).

To illustrate my points, allow me to post a couple of quick photos I took of mine, and one photo of the one I consider to be my ideal (GX9901's). His is the dream one I was searching for, in terms of color, bridge styling and face grooves.

This is GX9901's perfect Pineapple:
attachment.php

This is the one I bought today:
close.jpg

side.jpg

The good news is that the store where I bought it will let me return it up to 10 days later -- so I plan on thinking about it over the weekend and then keeping it, or taking it back on Tuesday.

Again, I admit I am impossible to please, and I stress again this is a perfect instrument (just maybe not for me). Believe me, I know what a work of art this ukulele is. I'm just worried that because I like the other bridge, and a lighter color, I will consider myself "settling" for this Pineapple Sunday, only to find MGM or someone else selling one down the road that I like better, at which point I won't be able to return this one. I could return this one and buy it again later if need be (if it is still available) but I would probably not be able to get the discount.

So moral of the story: would you keep an otherwise wonderful, perfect instrument even if it is not "perfect" for you because you saved a lot of money on it? Or would you return it, and maybe pay more later to find the right one for you? Or throw in the towel completely and get a Kamaka pineapple?:confused: Of course George (GX9901) if you are willing to give me yours, all my problems would be solved.

Return it. Almost everyone on this forum would be positively ecstatic to have just taken home a Pineapple Sunday. If you're feeling this ambivalent about it already, it's clearly not the right uke for you right now, especially given the investment. I say continue with your pineapple quest! Just my two cents. :)

Is that bridge the normal bridge (yours)? That is the same bridge I have on my koaloha concert. Tell ya the truth I'm a big koaloha fan and I'd let that PS go unless it was a really good deal. It doesn't look like a PS to me. Is there a blackmark on the corner of the label? How does it sound?

I would return it. If it isn't the one and isn't a perfect match, then you'll never be happy with it. Better to wait for the perfect one, one that you love everything about, than to settle. It may cost you a little more money, but what does the discount matter if you're not 100% happy with it?

-Lil

You have the opportunity to return it - do it. It may be perfect as an instrument and as they are currently built - but it's not perfect for you. This is a pretty huge purchase to feel ambivalent about, and since you really haven't even had the Kamaka for that long, play it for a while longer and save up the cash so you can get the PS that is perfect FOR YOU.

Is that bridge the normal bridge (yours)? That is the same bridge I have on my koaloha concert. Tell ya the truth I'm a big koaloha fan and I'd let that PS go unless it was a really good deal. It doesn't look like a PS to me. Is there a blackmark on the corner of the label? How does it sound?

I know, I really don't like the bridge. But as you can see from this MGM auction that ended, they are using it now on the PS. A real shame, the bowtie one looked so cool.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-KOALOHA-PINE...ltDomain_0?hash=item56379dc6b9#ht_3272wt_1165

This auction also shows the laser engraved styling...why that shop owner said she won't order them anymore unless it is a custom for a client, I really miss the old styling. :(

Thanks guys, I knew that was the right decision deep down, I will take it back tomorrow...and keep searching for a PS that works for me, or a curly koa Kamaka pineapple instead.

Last edited:
Dang!

You have my empathy and best wishes. If you can't return it, please let me know.

I know, I really don't like the bridge. But as you can see from this MGM auction that ended, they are using it now on the PS. A real shame, the bowtie one looked so cool.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-KOALOHA-PINE...ltDomain_0?hash=item56379dc6b9#ht_3272wt_1165

This auction also shows the laser engraved styling...why that shop owner said she won't order them anymore unless it is a custom for a client, I really miss the old styling. :(

Thanks guys, I knew that was the right decision deep down, I will take it back tomorrow...and keep searching for a PS that works for me, or a curly koa Kamaka pineapple instead.

Is yours a concert or a tenor? I tried counting the frets but the phone screen isn't the best thing to count frets on:)
WW, you might want to try and contact KoAloha and inquire about a factory second. The blemishes are usually unnoticeable (can't find the blemish on my concert and i have spent 6 months looking for it). There is also a substantial discount on those factory seconds. Just saying. You knbow, cut out the middle guy and go directly to the source.

If you are already having second thoughts and are not content, then it is a sign that your not satisfied. Sometimes it is better to listen to second thoughts our you could have some regret down the road, like another member said don't let the discount dilute your feelings. On a side notie I personally would go with a curly koa Kamaka pineapple. Just look at your Kamaka tenor, i would get something in that stature for the money you are spending.

Do you prefer the Koaloha sound over the kamaka sound?

If you are already having second thoughts and are not content, then it is a sign that your not satisfied. Sometimes it is better to listen to second thoughts our you could have some regret down the road, like another member said don't let the discount dilute your feelings. On a side notie I personally would go with a curly koa Kamaka pineapple. Just look at your Kamaka tenor, i would get something in that stature for the money you are spending.

Do you prefer the Koaloha sound over the kamaka sound?

She has never had a koaloha yet.

Really? I got the impression that she just bought the ps and thinking about to returning it .

Check um out

Your right. I just meant (which didn't clarify) that she might not have had a chance to really compare the sounds yet. I'm not really paying attention yet.

I agree with the others. Wait and get what you really want. And if you are willing to wait, you could have them make up a bowtie one for you as sort of a special order directly from KoAloha. They might not be taking orders for truly custom ukes right now, but one with a slight difference like that might get into the queue for the next batch of PS.
Just a thought.

–Lori

Unfortunately, buyers remorse never seems to subside, it only gets worse the more you think about it. I would return it if you can.

That being said, if it was mine, I would keep it! It looks like a beautiful instrument to me. Especially since it was discounted. If they are no longer making the bow tie bridge on the PS, the only way that you will be able to snag one with it would be second hand.

As a Kamaka and Kanilea owner, how does the sound compare?

Yeah I think I would return it if I were you. I've bought a few ukes that were very well made and beautiful, but something negative stood out and made me regret my purchase. Those ukes all went back out the door again. Hold out for the exact one you want. :)

Let me be the different one. I think it's a beautiful instrument. I think the plain bridge gives it a more antique look. It also cleans up the lines a bit. The current Pineapple Sundays are lines flying every which way. Huge amounts of energy. This is a more restrained ukulele. It looks like Ohta San's "Hawaii" or Iz's "White Sandy Beach". It's old school. It looks like if you wanted to play "While My Ukulele Gently Weeps", it would pat you on the shoulder and say, "Come on. Let's just relax a bit."

It's the Pineapple Sunday for Sundays, not the modern midweek Pineapple Sunday.

:)

Return it. If you took the time to create this thread there is obviously something bugging you about it. I've gotten rid of several ukes that sound and look great but just didn't do it for me.

Deach has 6,335 more posts than me. I'd do what he says. ;)

He has also owned and given away around 6,335 more ukes than any of us, so I'd say he speaks with a unique brand of authority.

Look at it this way. Playing the Ukulele is a peaceful harmonious thing. It will be in the back of your mind every time you see the Uku. Every time you touch the Uku and every time you Play it. That doesn't sound like the maikings of a peaceful or harmonious act.

But on a side note. Will your wife allow you visiting rights until you pay her back?

Bring it back, save some more money an get exactly what you want. And if the Kamaka is exactly what you want, go for it. Then start saving for a different model koaloha that will bring you less stress..

Top Bottom