Tab programs for ukulele?

clayton56

Reaction score
I'm working on some arrangements of melodies, classical, Irish, etc, and figure I might as well work them out in tab form.

What program can take a midi file and let you present it as tab and standard notation?

How about tuxguitar? Still not perfect for manipulating the tabs, but it's free.

I'm a big fan of TablEdit. It costs but there is a free version for both Mac and Windows called TEFview. The free version doesn't save, but will open files. TablEdit imports midi, displays in both tab and notation. You can play the tune using your sound card, and can slow the tune down for learning. Supports many stringed instruments. I used it to transpose all the tunes on my Uke Tones CD. I have some TablEdit files at:

http://www.ukefarm.com/music/

Download the free version and see if it's what your looking for.

http://www.tabledit.com/

Last edited:
How about tuxguitar? Still not perfect for manipulating the tabs, but it's free.

Thanks a lot for pointing this out! I just imported some powertab file of Dominator's selection and everything seems fine so far.

GuitarPro isn't perfect, but it imports midi and displays in both tablature and standard notation. It's also ukulele-friendly.

it's Power-Tab for me...

Powertab. It's free, but only for Windows. http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php. I made a tutorial a few weeks ago: http://liveukulele.com/tabs/how-to-use-powertab/

Hey, thanks for Power-Tab. I finally downloaded it, and I also tried Tabl-Edit. To me Table-Edit looked confusing and I didn't delve into it. Power-Tab looked inviting so I sat down with it.

Ok, that was 5 hours ago, but I got my first Uke composition all imported and fixed up. "Tabbing" helped me find some mistakes in my midi that I hadn't caught. And Power-Tab came up with a few improvements to my fingerings in its cyber-wisdom. Power-Tab is a little harder than it looks, esoteric in some ways, but it reminded me of old-style programs with its keyboard entry. I think it's quirky, but solid. Now that I've gotten acquainted, I'll check out your tutorial and see if I catch anything extra.

By the way if anyone is interested in my (ragtime) composition, let me know, I can e-mail you a copy. Soon enough I'll add it to my website as a lesson (for all instruments AND uke) with play-along piano backup.

clayton56

By the way if anyone is interested in my (ragtime) composition, let me know, I can e-mail you a copy. Soon enough I'll add it to my website as a lesson (for all instruments AND uke) with play-along piano backup.

I'd love to give it a go if it's apt for a mere beginner. No desperate hurry, John King book's got me doing overtime.

If you are gonna use TuxGuitar, I have a post somewhere on how to set it up for the uke. Basically you select the 4 string nylon guitar setting, then set all the strings to octave 4 (G4,C4, E4, A4). It also helps if you give it an offset of 12 to make the notes show up in the staff better when you are composing. You also can't use the built in guitar chords, but its easy to input your own uke chords.

There a couple of things I don't like about its editing functions, but its pretty nice for free. It even has a few features that GuitarPro doesn't, and vice versa. I have used it both to input and output midi, as well as reading in some of Dominator's PowerTabs, and it works. Sometimes the midi imports seem to be too high or low, depending on how the original file was written.

Last edited:
clayton56

I'd love to give it a go if it's apt for a mere beginner. No desperate hurry, John King book's got me doing overtime.

Thanks, I'll send you the link when I have the full lesson finished - it will have play-along soundfiles in regular tempo and slow tempo which will be helpful for a beginner.

The ukulele part isn't that hard but you have to sit down and go through it step by step. Is John King's book the one where the arrangements are taking advantage of open strings, i.e., a fingerpicking arrangement? That's the way this is approached. I will have to relearn how to play it now that I tabbed it out - I ran across some improvements I'll have to embed in my memory.

Hi Clayton,

Thanks, I'll be looking forward to it. J. Kings book is "Famous solos and duets for ukulele". I haven't been at it for long. I'm currently working on "The Blue Bells of Scotland".

Top Bottom