Maple series Ukuleles

Uke Republic

Reaction score
Theres been a few maple ukes out there. We got in a 2010 Pono MPT maple/spruce tenor and it looks fantastic and sounds , yep...FANTASTIC! Ohana too. The CK-75G concert maple/spruce sounds,plays so wonderful. Gorgeous instrument with tiger striped maple on back and heavy on the abalone. Makai will debut their maple series instruments at 2010 NAMM
I'm loving the maple and look forward to more makers using this tone wood.

I will post those today.

Here's the pictures of the Ohana and a link to the Pono Maples. My pictures are a little darker because of lighting conditions at the time.
attachment.php
[/IMG]
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://ukerepublic.com/Pono.html

That is a pretty uke except for the S, E, W directional signs. Just my opinion.

I agree with Haolejohn! Other than the compass that is a nice looking uke!!!

As a geo who works with a compass all the time I really like the look and always wanted to have a compass rose uke - unfortunately they do not make the more affordable models any more...

Retail prices start at under $1,000.00 which is pretty good for a California-made instrument, I think.

As for the compass...I'd originally wanted to bury a magnet in the neck so you could suspend the instrument at a balance point and the peghead would point North. It didn't work, but what the heck...

Hey, you can always refinish the face of the instrument if you don't like the rosette. It's a rub-on dry transfer. I went with that so as not to have to reinforce the area under an inlaid rosette, which would have made the tops less responsive.

We'll have a 14 fret concert later this year...

Top Bottom