DIY Uke Hanger Question

Mim

Reaction score
I bought a couple Ukes for my Hawaiian themed shop and they have been a HUGE hit! People can't keep their hands off them and one of my employees is threatening to hide them next time she works! People like to play them, it does not mean they CAN play them :p! So, I am in the process of making a hanger for them. I have 3 and may add more later. So far I have 2 soprano Makalas and the cheapest Kala concert you can buy. Nothing that would make me cry if something happened to them. I do want to buy the Kala Kiwi... just because it would look awesome on my orange wall. But I digress!!!

I am using Aldrine's video as a guide. My question is:

How thick should the 2 boards be? Basically, how much clearence does the hanger need to be far enough away from the wall. I have 2 boards that are 1 inch thick that I am attaching to each other (I chose these because they are pre-primed and I need to save time, and they are light-weight). So, is 2 inches of board and then adding the Home Depot purchased hanger going to be enough?

Thanks guys!

I will post a picture when I am done :D! I am going to go ahead and attach more hangers so I can hang other things on it (leis, things like that) until UAS strikes again and I get more :rolleyes:! I have been telling my costomers they need to learn the Uke and go to UU! I have even had people asking if the ones I have are for sale! I am spreading my Uke fever!

Check out my thread in the marketplace.....not bad for $13 dollars :)

eculuke makes some beautiful hangers, but if $12 is out of your budget... You could always get a Wall hanger from Walmart that looks like any other uke hanger and is cheap. Just my :2cents:

attachment.php

I don't know if this helps, but I bought a hanger, I think it might be for a hammer, at Wall-mart. Screwed it onto a piece of one by four and put two screws through it into the wall.

This may sound weird, But I like things "linear" and I want this to be the center focus of a large blank (for now) wall that I have. So, I am looking to make one like Aldrine made, a multi-uke hanger. Or else I would buy some single ones. It is just the "look" I am looking for. Plus, then, when all is said and done I will have something that will hold 5 ukes for about $15. I just do not want to screw together my 2 boards and then paiont them and get them mounted just to find out I do not My shop is a true orange a deep blue with black accents. So I want the hanger to essentially be a black line across the wall. I just need to make sure I have enough clearence because I can return them for 2 inch thick boards instead. Plus... I am broke. And I am quite handy, I essentially put my whole store together single-handedly, so making a uke hanger will not be a big deal. I just have to work out the technicalities of the depth. And I have seen your hangers eculuke and they are georgeous. I may have to order some of those for my home.

attachment.php

I don't know if this helps, but I bought a hanger, I think it might be for a hammer, at Wall-mart. Screwed it onto a piece of one by four and put two screws through it into the wall.

THANKS ROB! That is perfect!!!! My hangers are a lot like yours, just grey. I am basically doing the same concept as yours just with 2 pieces of wood a 1x4 screwed into a 1x6 (so if yours works mine should have plenty of clearence) and they will be 8 foot long. So I will have plenty of room for plenty of ukes! Construction starts tomorrow :)

if you look at earlier threads I made a 5 uke hanger but my costs were pretty high to make it look decent. Unless you have a piece of furniture you can tear apart. I am going to launch a 3 uke hanger this weekend. Rob your hanger looks good!

Thanks
Luke

attachment.php

This might be a better picture. The hooks were 97 cents for two.

Thanks Rob! That really eases my mind. Essentially that is very much like what I am going to be making. Just a long version. It is going to be very simple and painted black. I will post a pic when I am done. I have a very industrial looking shop, so I think soem of the screws I am using to (with hex heads) will really accent it.

MIM,
sounds good I would love to get some hangers for you. Just let me know. Its been very fun making these....goodluck with your multiuke hanger. I love mine and even lessened the spacing to add 2 more ukes. FYI....having a blank hanger will make you want to fill it BAD!!

Hey, I made something very similar. Got my hangers at Home Depot and added a nut as a spacer, which gave the extra reach so that the ukes sit out from the wall. I think it is a clean, simple look. Total cost for each hanger I made was about $1.25. Just another idea that might be helpful. Post a picture when you build the whole thing. I'd like to see it.
IMG_0073.jpg

I'm exceedingly lucky. I live in a log cabin so I can screw those Wal Mart hangers directly into any wall and hang a uke. Plenty of space for the most rampant case of UAS

I'm exceedingly lucky. I live in a log cabin so I can screw those Wal Mart hangers directly into any wall and hang a uke. Plenty of space for the most rampant case of UAS

Right into the wall would be cool! A lot less hassle and plenty of room. Especially since I had the hardest time mounting the one I made. Here is the finished product:
IMG_7032.jpg

I think my wife's exceedingly lucky we don't live in a log cabin - I'd eventually be trying to find a way to bore a soundhole into one of the walls and put some strings on it. "Look honey - now our whole HOUSE is a uke!!!"

Top Bottom