Lanikai or something like it

h-drix

Reaction score
as mentioned in the other thread i started im looking to buy another uke, and its never to early to start looking.

i played a Lanikai Flame Maple Soprano. It was really good, it sounded great both with tone and resonance. i was wondering what other ukuleles i should look at thats within the $200-350 (USD) price range thats something along the lines of the lanikai flame.

If you're talking about sopranos, you could get a Kelii soprano made with solid koa within your budget. I believe all sizes of Koa Pili Koko fit within your budget as well, and they are all solid. I've tried those KPK ukes and they are well made and sound very nice.

Man, I sound like a Kelii salesman (KPK is made by Kelii)...They do make some really high value stuff though.

might wanna take a look at some of the stuff from Kala. I'm not just saying that cause they sponsor us. I think they have some quality stuff in the lower price ranges.

i personaly HATE sopranos because of their weak sound and small

Weak sound? Dude, ya gotta stop playing the $20 plywood ones. My Glyph barks so good that I've played acoustically with three guitarists and had no trouble keeping up.

And the National will blow the balls off of a charging rhino at 50 paces.*

Weak sound. Feh!

("Real men play sopranos." -- Craig Robertson)

*apologies to Mr. Nugent

right now im looking at sopranos, im still not to sure on the wood type. There are only two good music stores that i can easily get to, and only one of them carries Lanikai's. The other just sells cheap 50$ ukes.

oh nevermind

Last edited:
There are only two good music stores that i can easily get to, and only one of them carries Lanikai's.

One of the local music stores here carries Lanikai ukes and they've always surprised me (in a good way) when I've given them a strum. IIRC their price point is pretty reasonable too.

(Sorry if I offended anyone with the last post, especially you, Deach and Koloheboy. I realize the majority here want to shred away on tenors and it's all good but there's no reason to be hating on the standard sized uke. Look around on YouTube and you'll see a buttload of people doing great stuff on all sizes of uke. I guess the "weak sound" thing just hit one of my buttons.)

right now im looking at sopranos, im still not to sure on the wood type. There are only two good music stores that i can easily get to, and only one of them carries Lanikai's. The other just sells cheap 50$ ukes.

If you can get a friend to take you on a bit of a road trip, go down to Richmond, VA-- it's only a few hours. The ebay seller ukulele4u has his brick-and-mortar shop down there.

http://www.theukuleleshop.net/

I got my Kanile'a built Lanikai LK-1C from ukulele4u on Ebay. Got a good deal and he was really a pleasure to deal with.

And if you can make the drive it would definitely be worth checking out his inventory in person. Give you an envious chance to try out a few different instruments in a number of woods and price ranges for yourself. That alone might make it worth the trip if it's not too far out of your way...

Yup yup. I made the trip and the guy is a hoot! He names all of his instruments after desserts. (I ended up buying the blonde...)

He was also really great about answering my questions and was generally cheerful.

His shop is relocating, though. So if you do decide to make the trip- make sure to call/email first.

Yup yup. I made the trip and the guy is a hoot! He names all of his instruments after desserts. (I ended up buying the blonde...)

He was also really great about answering my questions and was generally cheerful.

His shop is relocating, though. So if you do decide to make the trip- make sure to call/email first.

You went out there? I'm so glad to hear that! (And jealous!)

I got my Ovation from him, but I had to go the ebay route.

do you know where he is relocating to?

please dont say cali or Hawaii

I'm being presumptuous to say this, as I didn't talk to him, but currently, I believe his shop is inside a furniture store or flea market or something. If I had to guess, I'd wager he's moving somewhere else in Midlothian or Richmond that's not inside a furniture store or whatnot.

i looooooooove sopranos! i would love to get anotha one, but all of my money is goin to other interests right now...

as far as lanikai's go, im really not a huge fan of them (as i've got 2 of em). i'd say to look elsewhere.

Top Bottom