Lanikai 8 String Tenor?

Paul December

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my soprano, concert, and tenor..... but UAS is setting in ....
I ran across this Lanikai 8 string, which would be something different than what I already have: Kala Pineapple Soprano, Kala Slotted Head Acacia Tenor, Mainland Mahogany Concert.
It *looks* good with its solid spruce top, laminated sides & back, but even better is the price: only $200 shipped.
Even better than price, it is being sold through some resellers who have easy return policies.
I assume I'll have to swap out the strings, no big deal, but is this a decent instrument?

O-8_lb.gif

I've got the Lanikai O-6, the 6 string with the spruce top. I'm very happy with it. The action is a shade high but perfectly playable, and it really sings with worth clears. It's a very, very different sound from a 4 string. I can only expect the same of the 8, but I'd check amazon. I actually got the 6 string for 125 shipped through them on sale a few months back.

Last edited:
I own a Koa Kala 8-string I bought from MGM (bascially the same uke). I love it. Great full sound.

I've got a Kala KA-S8E (solid spruce top, laminate mahogany back & sides). Unfortunately it doesn't get played as much as my other ukes but I like it a lot and I love the fullness of the sound.

I had an 0-8 Lanikai and liked it a great deal, I replaced it with a Kanilea 8 string. The Lanikai played in tune, was LOUD, and very well made. $200 is a good price for one.

Jimmy

Top Bottom