Something I don't understand

TreF

Reaction score
In regards to holding the ukulele, should i be able to hold it with my right arm, and strum without having any support from my left hand?

when playing chords close to the nut (F,C,G7,E7, etc.) i am using my index finger knuckle closest to my wrist to support the ukulele. This has worked just fine so far. The problem though is that i am now learning the Em chord and am having to stop strumming with my right, hold the uke at the bottom w/the right, get comfy with the Em, then continue strumming. This obviously is making it difficult

Everywhere i have read so far has said that i will get used to it and adopt my own way of holding it, but the last 2 hours i have tried many many ways and just cant seem to do it without stopping my strumming...

Sincerely
A very frustrated newb...

I think that it just suddenly comes to you after several more hours of training. New chords are always difficult, but you'll learn how to change to all the chords from all the others in time. Be patient. When I play songs with new chords i usually start with a slow strumming pattern. That way I don't have to stop in the song to change. When you get a feel for it you can up the tempo.

Holding a Uke seems like a never ending juggle between the left and right hand. i suppose i will get used to it.

I am tempted to buy a strap, but i dont want to be dependent on one, and fear i will develop bad habits from using one.

Get a uke thong if you'd like. That way you don't have to drill a hole or anything for the strap button. The more you play, the better you'll get at holding it. Also, try playing whilst sitting down. It helps -- esp. as you're a new player -- keep everything in place.

I think im trying to do everything at once. I am trying to get my chords right, my strumming, the holding of the uke, the tempo, and being a beginner i just cant do it all.

I think if i improve on one aspect, it will make the next easier.

Thanks guys

I think im trying to do everything at once. I am trying to get my chords right, my strumming, the holding of the uke, the tempo, and being a beginner i just cant do it all.

Thanks guys
That is a good way to go about it. :)

Tenors are harder in this regard than the smaller sizes. You can't really "trap" them with your right forearm as well as you can with a concert or soprano. I have strap buttons on both my Tenor Ukes but I find myself using a strap less and less. I'll probably still use it as insurance when I play standing though.

Thanks guys

Like Melissa said...that's a good way to approach it. I think I learned C G Am F and then worked on strumming. I could make those chords easy and hold the uke in place at the same time. I just worked on different songs with those same chords until I didn't have to look at the fretboard anymore, all the while improving on my strumming. Then I started working on songs that had one or two new chords. It took me a while before I could switch between open chords and barre chords without dropping the uke...but it came with practice.

Don't despair...it will come before you know it. A month ago, I used to think Bb was hard...I don't anymore. I still can't do E.

Top Bottom