So what do you get when you cross a Monkey and a Fish?

nice! both looking and sounding

Flea, the Uke is nice and I must say you are an awesome player.

Thanks for the peek, now to calm the UAS urge.

Jack

Great looking (and sounding) uke. A little off-subject, but, as you're showcasing a new uke from NAMM, my boss got an email from Ibanez today about a new uke they'll unveil at NAMM. The body is similar to the Iceman guitar from Ibanez. He's going to get one for the store (which might immediately go into my collection for the sheer uniqueness of it).

very cool. Is that a solid or a laminate?

Sea Monkey?

sea_monkeys2.jpg

Okay, my turn: what do you get when you cross an elephant and a rhino. Or what do you get when you cross a Bulldog with a Shih Tsu.

Last edited:
That is one nice looking uke! Is it tenor and/or available in other sizes? I would also like to know how it compares with the Kala, and do you know if it will be available w/o electrics? This one could lure me away from my Kala Acacia Tenor lust!

It will be available in more than just tenor sizes and will have the pickup as an option.

What I really like about it is the saddle isn't ebony like the Kala Acacia. I really think that the saddle that comes with the Kala isn't great and doesn't give the uke as good of a sound.

I love the look of that wood. So perdy. Is Monkeypod really the name of the wood!?

Monkey Pod trees are AWESOME, very beautiful, and found in most parks here. They were introduced into Hawai'i in the late 19th century and were a popular wood for craving calabashes replacing the traditional native Kou wood which was decimated by an introduced invasive moth species. After WWII there was a LARGE influx of cheap Monkey Pod bowls imported from the Philippines so Monkey Pod now has a connotation of cheap import here which is sad because the wood is beautiful, and easy to work with. I have an OLD 1930s Monkey Pod pineapple which sounds great and has nice grain. The Hawaiian name for Monkey Pod is Ohai but it should be Haole Ohai as there is a native endemic Ohai "maoli" tree which is endangered and rarely seen.

It will be available in more than just tenor sizes and will have the pickup as an option.

What I really like about it is the saddle isn't ebony like the Kala Acacia. I really think that the saddle that comes with the Kala isn't great and doesn't give the uke as good of a sound.

That's been one thing making me hold off on the Kala, I'd definately want to change the saddle to bone, tusq, corian, etc. Also the reports of saddles not fitting well. I'll be watching for more on this one!

Top Bottom