Buying 3rd ukulele, looking for advice.

AverseBliss

Reaction score
I'm a new comer to this forum, just to give some background, I started playing ukulele in September 2009, after buying a Mahalo soprano from a local music shop. I quickly got the uke bug, and proceeded to get a Lanikai LU-21T tenor ukulele for this Christmas just gone. After playing my Lanikai, I now find it hard to play on my Mahalo, since it just feels cheap, I know my Lanikai isn't a top quality uke, but I do feel that it is significantly better than my Mahalo. As such I am missing playing a smaller ukulele, and would like to get a decent quality solid wood (or at least solid top) soprano or concert. I am in England, so am buying from "The Southern Ukulele" store on eBay, as I have not heard a bad thing about them. I have narrowed down my choices to the Ohana SK25-Z, Ohana SK25, and the Ohana CK20-S. I was wondering if anybody had any experience of these ukuleles or could recommend any at around the same price which would be good? (under £130/$210)
Thanks very much in advanced!

Last edited:
Unsolicited advice other than answering your question. Upgrade the strings on your Mahalo, don't stop giving it love.

Without looking at it myself, is the SK25-Z zebrawood? I'm not convinced of zebrawood's quality of tone, though it's beautiful.

If I end up getting a concert I think I will upgrade the strings on my Mahalo, so that I have a soprano to play, though if I buy a soprano I think my Mahalo will have been replaced, but will still hold a dear place in my heart/room as my first Ukulele.
The SK25-Z is zebrawood, I was originally drawn in by its looks, however it is the same price as the solid mahogany SK25, so maybe tone wise that would be better. Thanks for the help!

I got an Ohana CK-35GS from Souther Ukulele Store for Christmas and it's an incredible instrument. Fits in the lower end of your budget too at 150 pounds!

BUY ONEEEEE!

I was contemplating saving a bit and buying the CK35GS, I'll add that to my list of ones to think of, thanks!

Well, I have the Ohana SK21 Sopranino and I love it. If I could find an SK25 (out of stock, it seems, everywhere) I think I'd buy it in a minute.

Thanks very much! The Southern Ukulele Store on Ebay has one, though they're an English retailer and not sure if they ship to the U.S. I think I'm going to go with the SK25 since it's right in my price range and is completely solid mahogany. Thanks for your help!

Without looking at it myself, is the SK25-Z zebrawood? I'm not convinced of zebrawood's quality of tone, though it's beautiful.

I have the SK25-Z Zebrawood. If you get that one, and they are very beautiful, get some Worth Brown Med strings for it. Some of the other srings I tried (Worth clear and Aquila) were a bit harsh sounding. But the Worth Browns sound great on it. Also, see if you can choose the individual uke you want. The Zebrawood grain varies a lot from uke to uke, and each one will have it's own unique grain pattern. Make sure they set-up the uke for you. You might find the action too high if they haven't set it up for you. Or, figure you will be taking it to a music store to be set up after you get it.

–Lori

I've only played the TK-35 and a CK-50 (I do not own either), and I have to say that I was quite impressed with the sound of both. I am waiting for the TK-50 to be available, and then I will make up my mind between the TK-35 and TK-50. I started out with a soprano, but eventually found that tenors fit my style (and hands) better. Ken Middleton has some awesome reviews of ukuleles (especially ohanas) floating around UU and youtube. You might want to check out some of his reviews.

Top Bottom