Enough Power Tools?

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
I want to start making 'ukuleles asap preferably pineapples. As far as power tools I have a band saw, table saw, drill press, 3 x 21 belt sander, palm sander, router. What other power tools are a must to start making 'ukuleles? Just for fun, low volume but if people like them I may invest in a 12" planer. Right now broke so just want to start with what tools I have. Any critical must have tools missing? Thanks!

Wow, looks like you have a really good start. I'm getting by with a drill press and a quarter sheet palm sander right now.

I use my cordless drill as much as any other tool probably because I'm still making jigs. Personally I would get a drum sander before investing in a planer, there are schematics on the net for building your own on the cheap and they seem to work very well. Before I got my drum sander I used a hand held belt sander to thickness tops... works ok but you have to go slow and keep measuring. You'll definitely need a caliper of some sort for measuring stuff.

Here's a link to a DIY drum (thickness) sander. http://www.rockslide.org/drum sander.html
There are others floating around on the net.

Last edited:
There are several tools you'll eventually want from StewMac/LMI, like templates for slotting, a properly kerfed saw for slotting, etc. You do have essentially everything you need, and more than many just getting started, but I'll agree with Vic and say a thickness (drum) sander can make your life easier.

If you're just beginning there are certain tools that may not be worth owning. A drum sander is one of them, especially if you can use someone elses. My suggestion to you is to join the UGH and befriend someone with power tools. I think joining the guild would really accelerate your learning curve.

Sorry, I figured Ahnko Honu would know. UGH: Ukulele Guild of Hawaii. It's a ukulele builders group based on Oahu of about 300 members (I think) but members are from all over.

Thanks for the input. I do have a cordless drill, and Dremel tool, and various fine tooth japan saws for fret wire grooves. I'll try and get by thickness sanding with belt sander first, DJ style. I've met several UGH members already and have the membership forms on hand. I'll start milling some logs, and making forms first. I have bone for the saddle, and a couple sets of friction tuners, just need to get fret wire. Thanks again for all the input, I have the drum sander page saved for future reference.

I bought some cheap fret wire off ebay and almost tossed it... decided to keep it back for some cheapo camp ukes in the future. Ended up buying stew mac mando wire.. it's great. I wouldn't skimp on the wire... stew mac or lmi or something equivialent.
Chuck is right about the drum sander... it's a big leap for a hobby. Sounds like you have a great setup for making ukes. One thing you might think of investing in is a couple of good scrapers. I didn't think I would but I use them often, mostly scraping glue from joined backs but they have other uses, like "feathering" n such.
By the way I often wish I had a planer... heh

Last edited:
I've been a woodworker, carpenter, woodturner pretty much my whole adult life so have accumulated quite a few tools but 'ukuleles with be something new. I have several native hardwood logs to work with too so can't wait to get started.

The way I once heard it is

"He who dies with the most tools wins."

Hey, that's ME! Seriously, the ONE tool that shut my shop down for 2 months was when my Jet Dust Collector died (no more Jet for me - I have a table saw and Performax Drum sander, still). However, once my cyclone came in, and the 3 hp motor for the dust collector (that was just under the warranty), no problem. AND, the motor went on the Hitachi resaw - CCHHHEEEEEHHHOOOOOOO!

Chuck gave some good advice about drum sanding and borrowing. I know this guy in Kapolei that'll process wood for 50%, IF its worth it to him (he feels guilty if he charges an hourly rate). Personally, the drum sander before the planer (I still don't have a planer, but I do have a Jointer, which is the egg).

Forever plugged in - DeWalt ROS

-Aaron

Hi Ahnko,
So cool to hear you're going to build your own pineapples. I've been woodworking for fun or profit (rarely both at the same time) for a few decades now and building 'ukuleles has by far been my favorite way to get dusty. I get the feeling you're gonna love it! I'm kind of a tool junky, so I won't mention everything new in the shop, but a few things not mentioned so far...

fret crowning and fret end dressing files and something to beat or press the frets in (pressing seems to work better for me)
nut files, either store bought or homemade ( there's a thread on hacksaw blade nut files in here somewhere ) free
long clamps to glue on the bridge $10 ea +/-
homemade go bar deck and go bars ( I made mine out of threaded rod, plywood and 1/4 X 1/4 Port orford cedar go bars ) $20 for hardware
lots and lots of sandpaper, including way finer grits than you might be used to $?????
about 50 of those little binder clips ( those fancy paper clippy things ) work great for clamping on kerfing $3 at grocery store
the Hana Lima 'ia book priceless

Please keep us posted on your builds, looking forward to watching these take shape

Steve

Top Bottom