amps

austin1

Reaction score
hey all,

so I got an external pickup for christmas, which is awesome, except now I need to buy an amp with which to externally pick up my uke. I've been looking at little practice amps in the 100 dollar range, except all the descriptions seem to throw around a lot of random mathematical equations such as "compressor + chorus, compressor + phaser," all of which equal total confusion. So I've decided to take the easier road and ask you tech savvy people out there for your recommendations. :D What practice amps to you use and have good experiences with?

Thanks!
Tina

Welcome to our nightmare. Plugging in an 'ukulele and getting a good sound is difficult. But since you are looking for amp basics 101 here you go:

all the descriptions seem to throw around a lot of random mathematical equations such as "compressor + chorus, compressor + phaser," all of which equal total confusion.

Those are not math problems, but built-in effects they are referring to. None of them are necessary, but most of the small amps seem to have some effects. A compressor evens out the amplified signal by boosting the quiet notes and cutting down the loud ones. Chorus adds space to the sound - kind of a swirl. The most famous song with chorus I can think of is the Police's "Message in a Bottle". Chorus, compressor I would imagine is just the two effects combined. Phaser is another swirling effect, but not as subtle. Eddie Van Halen used a phaser on a lot of his guitar tracks. Some other effects you might see are: delay, reverb, flanger, tremolo.

What practice amps to you use and have good experiences with?

I have yet to hear of a "bad" practice amp in that price range. I use a Roland Micro Cube. It has an acoustic setting and effects. You are not going to find any "great" amps in that price range, but for bedroom jamming there is nothing better. Recently I have taken to plugging into my old Yamaha home audio system. It sounds way better than the cube. I have a RCA to 1/8" cable into the AUX input on the Yamaha. Then I have a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to plug into my 'ukulele or effects pedal. I would guess that you can find a RCA to 1/4" adapter, but I use the 1/8" for my ipod, so that is what's handy.

I also use a Roland Microcube.
If you're after a compact, affordable amp packed with features, you aint gonna find anything better in the price range.

It's actually sort of 6 amps in 1, because you can switch between different settings that are supposed to emulate other well known amps.
I mostly use the JC Clean for uke, but the others are a lot of fun for experimenting and distortion.
And you also get a lot of effects (Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay, Reverb) which are not necessary, but are also a lot of fun and can add to your music.

Normally, you'd have to buy effect pedals separately for those, but the Roland Microcube comes with them built in.

In summary, the Microcube is awesome :)
I love mine!

I love my Roland Microcube also! Its the best practice amp I've ever owned. It also sounds great plugged into a P.A. or a recording mixer. Not bad for a little over $100!!!

looks like the microcube wins, thanks all for your input!

so did you get the micro cube? what do you think of it? I'm trying to decide if I wanna buy one and need as many inputs (no pun intended :D) as possible

Top Bottom