Humidity Question

ukulelearp

Reaction score
Hi,

From what I've looked up, the average humidity where I live, San Antonio, Texas, tops out at about 80% and bottoms out at 55% through the year. Is this a comfortable range for a solid wood ukulele? Should I be looking to buy a humidifier or even a dehumidifier? I'm mostly asking because I'm interested in buying a KPK ukulele but I've heard some bad things about them cracking under the wrong humidity conditions. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know these things. Let me know.

Thanks!

You should be fine. Seems like the climate is similar to Hawaii. Remember that humidity is relative, though. Hot air can hold more moisture than cold air, so a RH of 50% at 100 degrees is different from 50% RH at 40 degrees. I don't know how cold it gets there in the winter, but if it gets below 50, you might want to use a humidifier just to be safe. A $5-10 item is cheap insurance for a several hundred dollar instrument.

The humidity inside your home where you keep your uke may be different to what it is outside.
I would still keep a humidifier in case for peace of mind :)

i would consider getting a hygrometer for your case, this will measure the relative humidity in the air. somewhere between 45% and 55% RH is ideal. if you buy a humidity control system remember to use it correctly or it can cause more harm than good.
enjoy your new uke!

Top Bottom