Ideas on the TRADE SHOW (for MGM, etc)

pdxuke

Reaction score
It occurs to me that we have some HUGELY important Uke voices on this forum. For example, Mike at MGM is a man with access to many in high and mighty uke places!

That's why I thought it might be fun to tell him what we want in the future, so he might pass it on to the many manufacturers that hold his many accounts receivable! :eek:

So I'll Start:

TO KALA: Awesome! Simply awesome.

1. More Dolphin colors, maybe even a RAINBOW!

2. Here's an idea: how about little bottles of touch up paint (like nail polish bottles?) Right now I just search for nail polish in a close color. But wouldn't it be awesome to be able to get a touch up kit from the factory, to keep your babies lookin fresh?

3. I want more novelty ukes in traditional and unusual shapes. I'd like one shaped like a soprano with a silk screened "Island" theme (volcano, hula girl, flowers, etc) , price point the same. Also a boat paddle. And a bell. Keep bringing on these ukes, they are awesome fun! Watermelon, Kiwi and Pineapple are great starts. Keep em comin!

OHANA: Love the quality of the all wood line!

1. More GEARED TUNER OPTIONS on all sizes--including soprano. Some of us hate pegs! I notice that starting on concerts, but not yet on sopranos.

2. Matte finishes. I like gloss, but I love the finish on the Sopranino, which is matte.

Wider neck sopranos. I like the sound of sopranos best, but now play Kanile'a builds exclusively because they have the only necks that are comfortable to me! I wonder if there'd be more people going back to soprano from tenor if wider necks were available.

How about a lemon for those of us play "sour" notes!
Maybe a Lemon lime for those of us that are getting better!
A jolly rogers theme for those of us who are pirates.
aka: Give me the booty
Monster themes would be cool for those of us that are into horror.
I dunno. Just some random thoughts.

I like this idea. Although many may just get passed over, it's a cool way to get ideas out there.

I would like the new Rasta colored Kala to come in a long (and wider) neck soprano. It would make the perfect beater/car uke. It would also be nice if they would switch the colors around so that the flag colors are displayed properly (I guess it is correct for lefties, but let's be serious...not NEAR as many lefties out there as there are righties). I know they just released them and they probably already made tons of them but it would be a smart thing to do.

I would also like to see some more super concerts from the manufacturers that make really big body tenors. I love the tenor scale but the XL body always feels so awkward to me. I have played a couple tenors where the body doesnt seem as big and cumbersome, but IMO they are few and far between. Kalas come to mind as ones that have "smaller" bodies. I could be wrong, it's just how I felt. A lot of the "K brand" tenors seem much bigger. Am I wrong?

More colors for the dolphin ukes is a cool idea as well.

That's all for now. I'm sure I will frequent this thread, as I tend to get random ideas throughout the day :)

I think Kala is really onto something with their Makala and Kala novelty series. They are well made, sound good, and whimsical. For those of us who love that bright, banjoey sound (like the old Harmony sound) they are a dream come true.

I really think that traditional soprano shapes that looked like old painted ukes would sell like crazy. (Can you say HULA?)

How about more factory installed strap buttons? Maybe more binding/perfling whether abalone, wood, plastic or whatever.

I was thinking about that "Jolly Rogers" Theme....
Spanish doubloons for tuning knobs
Gold tuning gears
Jewels for markers
Flat black weatherd worn out flag
Finish it all off with a old worn out look to the whole uke.

How about more factory installed strap buttons?

I was thinking that as well. I love how my pickups also work as strap buttons, but my next uke wont have a pickup in it (I rarely use them). I will need to have a button installed bc playing with a strap is a total GAME CHANGER. It would be a lot easier if factories would just install them ahead of time.

(I know, I know...many of you don't like straps for ukes and you feel like that would get in the way. Maybe so. In that case, I have no simple resolution :( )

I was thinking about that "Jolly Rogers" Theme....
Spanish doubloons for tuning knobs
Gold tuning gears
Jewels for markers
Flat black weatherd worn out flag
Finish it all off with a old worn out look to the whole uke.

That sounds so awesome. If it were one of the Kala "novelty" ukes, I think I would have to add it to the collection. I think, if it were in the right price range, it could be a HUGE hit.

I agree with this! I cringe thinking about taking a drill to my uke.

lol that's what I think every time i see someone talking about installing a button. There is NO WAY I trust myself enough with a drill to put a hole in one of my beautiful ukes. I dont care how cheap it is, it wont end well. Although, I guess, on the bright side, I could end up with a pretty unique sound :)

That sounds so awesome. If it were one of the Kala "novelty" ukes, I think I would have to add it to the collection. I think, if it were in the right price range, it could be a HUGE hit.

I would think so. Seems to me that we have a lot of male and female pirates right here at UU!

But for me I think it would be a..
Frankenuke
Boris Karloff... Frankestein on the top
Color: Frankenstien Green
Tuning pegs: Bolts/ Wingnuts
Frets: Black
Markers: Gray
Strings: Red

Last edited:
I would think so. Seems to me that we have a lot of male and female pirates right here at UU!

But for me I think it would be a..
Frankenuke
Boris Karloff... Frankestien on the top
Color: Frankenstien Green
Tuning pegs: Bolts/ Wingnuts
Frets: Black
Markers: Gray
Strings: Red

man, I think you need to get in the uke manufacturing business. or maybe get hired on for product development from one of the big companies. You have some really solid ideas!!

Thank you! All they have to do is contact Papa Dave right here at UU! I'll work for my pick of the litter! lol

Most reasonable laminates with solid top are spruce and cedar. I think a laminate with a different solid top (mahogany, koa) for instance might be a hit.

2. Here's an idea: how about little bottles of touch up paint (like nail polish bottles?) Right now I just search for nail polish in a close color. But wouldn't it be awesome to be able to get a touch up kit from the factory, to keep your babies lookin fresh?
I wouldn't think nail polish would be good for the finish. BTW, they do make furniture touch-up kits to fix scratches and gouges in wood. I even saw one at the grocery store the other day.

Top Bottom