Kala saddle pre-shimmed?

ukunewbie

Reaction score
Hi. Complete noob here.

Just received a brand new Kala KA-KS. Looks great. Sounds good. Intonation is not terrible. But I noticed that it came with 2-1/2 soft-wood shims under the saddle (2 full-length pieces, and 1 half-length).

Being a complete noob, I couldn't see any reason they should be there, so I took them out. Action still seems good. No buzzing. Tone still seems OK.

So did I do something crazy?

Do all Kalas come with shims from the factory?

Hello from a semi-noob. I just changed strings on my Kala KA-FMC but didn't have the saddle out. I will look under the saddle the next time I change strings. I'm thinking that the shims might be there in case you or the dealer wanted to install an under saddle pickup. Then some or all shims would be removed and the pickup wouldn't raise the saddle height. Just a thought but it smells like a pretty good one doesn't it? :)

Jude

Thanks, Jude. That's what I was thinking too -- I believe this model is also available with a pickup.

You should be able to see the shims without taking out the saddle. Mine were visible from the edge.

The wood they used for shims is very soft -- almost a cardboard quality. I think removing them improved the tone, but I'm sure I'm imagining things. :)

Top Bottom