Baritone strings on a concert uke...

mountainman

Reaction score
Hello,
I've got a concert ukulele (Lanikai LU-21C) and when I bought strings for it the other day, the store only had baritone strings so I bought them. They're martin crystal nylons. When I realized how different they were than my current strings, I decided I'd have to just order some different strings online, but then I noticed they're about the same size as classical guitar strings (0.027, 0.032, 0.034, 0.035), and I'm pretty sure some people use those on their ukes. I'd be interested to see how they sound, but not interested enough to risk damaging my uke. Does anyone have any advice? Would they be okay, or should I just suck it up and wait until I can order some online to change them?

I'm just going to take a stab and say the baritone strings may be too thick. But if they fit comfortably in the nut, you should be ok.

The tension would be too low to make it practical.

I put baritone strings on my Tenor a couple of days ago. The strings felt very loose and don't produce much tone.
And the looseness also causes the wound strings to rattle on the frets.

So I replaced them with DGBE strings designed for Tenor (Aquila). Works much better :)

edit: I say, keep the baritone strings as an excuse to buy a baritone uke in future :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom