PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the Big Island Honu Soild Koa Tenor Ukulele

grappler
01-05-2008, 04:19 PM
As the title says,
Im thinking about buy the Big Island Honu Soild koa Tenor ukulele.
But I need your assistance!
What have you heard about them.

And what about the Ovation??

Please.. Need ideas before i go crazy and buy one without thinking!! HAHA

:D

G~Ukes
01-10-2008, 03:57 PM
is that a custom made uke? i kinda never heard of that one

grappler
01-10-2008, 04:36 PM
is that a custom made uke? i kinda never heard of that one

its not a custom made ukulele.

Its Honu Big Island Ukulele. Soild Koa

Look it up on ebay.. they still have it

GX9901
01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
I have a Honu concert. It's one of my favorites. Extremely clear sounding (with Worth Clear-Dense) and super long sustain. Mine has a honu shaped pin-type bridge and doesn't appear to be readily available in the U.S. (I hear it's Japan only), but I tried another Honu concert that's basically the same except for the bridge in Oahu last week and I think it would probably play and sound about the same if the strings are changed. Going to Worth strings made a huge difference on mine. Honu ukes are very good.

grappler
01-16-2008, 06:59 PM
I have a Honu concert. It's one of my favorites. Extremely clear sounding (with Worth Clear-Dense) and super long sustain. Mine has a honu shaped pin-type bridge and doesn't appear to be readily available in the U.S. (I hear it's Japan only), but I tried another Honu concert that's basically the same except for the bridge in Oahu last week and I think it would probably play and sound about the same if the strings are changed. Going to Worth strings made a huge difference on mine. Honu ukes are very good.

THANK YOU!!! Im from Australia.. You think its worth $550 with shipping?

GX9901
01-16-2008, 07:16 PM
If you're talking about a tenor with the deluxe trimmings (abalone rosette & purflings, maple binding, honu position markers), than I'd say it's worth $550 + shipping. I should also mention that it took me a while to warm up to my concert Honu because it took a while to find the right strings (Worth CD). I wrote a blog entry about mine here (http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2007/10/revisiting-honu.html).

grappler
01-16-2008, 07:22 PM
If you're talking about a tenor with the deluxe trimmings (abalone rosette & purflings, maple binding, honu position markers), than I'd say it's worth $550 + shipping. I should also mention that it took me a while to warm up to my concert Honu because it took a while to find the right strings (Worth CD). I wrote a blog entry about mine here (http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2007/10/revisiting-honu.html).

I've Finished reading it. Great Info
So can i ask for your opinion man.
Out of
Kala Koa Tenor Elec
and
Honu Big Island

What u reckon?

grappler
01-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Btw i like the way u play..
Sounds beautiful!
How long have u been playing for ??

GX9901
01-17-2008, 06:06 AM
I've Finished reading it. Great Info
So can i ask for your opinion man.
Out of
Kala Koa Tenor Elec
and
Honu Big Island

What u reckon?

Since the Honu is made of solid wood, it is the superior ukulele. The Kala is laminated koa. I have personally played both and Honu is better by a long shot.

Btw i like the way u play..
Sounds beautiful!
How long have u been playing for ??

Thanks for the compliment. I've been playing for almost exactly 1 year. I'm really not that good yet. Being in Hawaii last week, I think most of the people working at music stores over there out-play me by a mile!:p

grappler
01-17-2008, 06:52 AM
Since the Honu is made of solid wood, it is always preferable to the Kala, which is laminated koa.

Thanks for the compliment. I've been playing for almost exactly 1 year. I'm really not that good yet. Being in Hawaii last week, I think most of the people working at music stores over there out-play me by a mile!:p

so you would rather the kala? why??

I''ve been playing for jst under a year, and im no where as good as u.. But ive had no experiences with string instruments or any kind of music.. it was jst all self taught..

GX9901
01-17-2008, 07:17 AM
so you would rather the kala? why??

I''ve been playing for jst under a year, and im no where as good as u.. But ive had no experiences with string instruments or any kind of music.. it was jst all self taught..

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant to say Honu is better (I'll edit the previous post to make it clearer). In most cases, solid wood ukes will be better than laminated ukes.