"new" uke day is coming...sometime...I hope

phanzo

Reaction score
So, I have "new" uke coming sometime next week. Or at least it's being mailed sometime next week. Wanna know what it is?????

.....Me too.

The one good thing that has come out of my grandfather's death was this "new" uke. When I was down in Florida, I was talking with my Aunt about ukulele. She had no idea that I played. She informed me that her mother used to play banjo and ukulele and that she has her old uke sitting up on a shelf in a closet, collecting dust. I instantly got stoked!! She said she has no use for it and that her mom would rather have someone playing it and enjoying it, rather than it sitting in a closet. She said she's been wanting to keep it in the family and that she would be more than happy to give it to me, if I wanted it....uhhh of course I wanted it.

So she told me that she would send it to me once she found a box for it. She emailed me yesterday to let me know that she got a box and would be mailing it off sometime next week. I have no idea what kind of uke it is or if it will be any good but I am SUPER STOKED to be getting a family heirloom (especially in the form of a uke). The only catch is that if one of her (my Aunt's) 2 kids decides that they want to play the uke, I will have to give it back :( Which I don't like, but it's only fair...it belonged to their grandmother, not mine.

So anyway...I may have some vintage Kamaka or Nunes coming to my house next week. Or I'll have some crappy little toy uke from the 40s (could be the 30s, could be the 50s...I have no idea). Point is, I have a "new" uke coming and I have no idea what it is. The only thing WORSE than having to wait for a uke that you've ordered is to have to wait for a uke that you have no idea about. It's gonna kill me. She said she would email me when it is in the mail. Hopefully tomorrow and not Friday or something. I'm dying to check it out!!

Once I get it, I'm sure it will need new strings. I wonder what kind of strings sound best on a "vintage" uke? I have some Worth CMs sitting around so I may have to try them first (even thought they are for a concert and I assume this is a soprano).

Anywho...I'm super excited. I will have to post pics (and maybe even a vid...if I'm feelin zesty) once I get it!!

Stay tuned!! :drool:

Congratulations on your "new" uke. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. ???? Hopefully it's in good condition and you won't have to spend a lot getting repairs made.

Hey,

that's a very interesting story. I hope it will be a great one and I wish you'll have a lot of fun with it! A friend of me got a vintage fender guitar amp from the 70s, for FREE! And it's very valuable. Mayb you will get a nice valuable uke ;).

Dennis

Too cool...be sure and keep us posted. And no matter what it is, pictures please!

Hope you're feeling zesty when you get your new ukulele. Gotta do a video. What a neat story, Phanzo.

That is awsome. And your family is cool. When my grandpa died he was an avid bluegrass fiddler. He had many fiddles. Those of us that played an instrument wanted one (THere are three of us) for sentimental purposes. My grandpa always played for me and one of my greatest memories was playing minfor him just before he passed away. His response "That wasn't Bill Monroe, but it was ok." Well we never got to see the fiddles. My grandma and one of my aunts sold them all to fiund BINGO trips.

vintage 5K? :O

Hopefully it's in good condition and you won't have to spend a lot getting repairs made.

Thanks! I imagine it's in pretty good condition. She never said anything about it needing fixed up. She said she's taken it out a couple times to strum but that's it.

Too cool...be sure and keep us posted. And no matter what it is, pictures please!

Oh I will definitely post pics...this aint my first rodeo :)

Hope you're feeling zesty when you get your new ukulele. Gotta do a video. What a neat story, Phanzo.

There's a pretty good chance of zestiness, especially if it is anything decent. we shall see :)

His response "That wasn't Bill Monroe, but it was ok." Well we never got to see the fiddles. My grandma and one of my aunts sold them all to fund BINGO trips.

That's a GREAT quote!! That's too bad that bingo held precedence over family heirloom-age. That would be a really cool thing to have. I know my mom has her grandmother's violin at our house. She doesnt play or anything but it is a really cool decoration and just a cool piece of family history.

vintage 5K? :O

That would be nice. I'm guessing not. Although I honestly dont know anything about my Aunt's mother, so I have no idea. For all I know, she went to Hawaii a lot and got it from there. She said that she always played it, so it cant be too terrible :) I guess I would be happy with a 5k ;)

This is so cool, I am excited for you! I am kind of hoping a little Martin shows up at your door. They made so many Martin "O"s....who knows??!!! Whatever it is, it will be really fun to have. Post as soon as you get it!

This is so cool, I am excited for you! I am kind of hoping a little Martin shows up at your door. They made so many Martin "O"s....who knows??!!! Whatever it is, it will be really fun to have. Post as soon as you get it!

Thanks, yea I'm super stoked. I'm really hoping for an old Martin, Kamaka, etc. Honestly though, I'm just super excited to get such a cool family heirloom. It will be my 1st ever. Why not make it a uke? :)

I will certainly post pics as soon as I open the box. I'll probably make a vid once I put new strings on it, as well.

Tuesday has now come to a close and still no word on the new/old uke...hmmm...maybe tomorrow :( On a good note, I get to see Jake, live, here in Phoenix, Friday night...woohoo!!

Congrat's on the new Uku. It's cool to have a family Heirloom especially in a topic that you obviously love. Can't wait to se what it is. Stoked for you.

Enjoy the heck out of the Jake show! In addition to being a great performer, he's a really cool guy.

Even if the uke you get is a cheap Harmony, it'll still be special to have a family heirloom uke. I have my grandfather's old Aria baritone, and while it's not particularly collectible, my mom has fond memories of him playing it, and she's happy that I'm holding onto it and enjoying it.

2 weeks have come and gone and still no word on when the uke will be coming :( Not sure what the deal is. Maybe they talked about it and decided not to give it to me? I hope not.

On a positive note, the Jake show was awesome. And we chatted for a buit after the show. Such a cool guy. Had him sign my old Lanikai Pineapple, the first uke I got. Such a great performer and such a great guy. It was really an awesome experience.

Hope I get this uke sometime soon. I have 2 others on the way, an Orange Burst Dolphin and a Kala Rasta Tenor. I thought for sure I would have the "family" uke before the other 2, now it's not looking that way. Oh well....one day....I hope....

It came!!! I opened a box to find a cool little case and inside a beautiful C.F. Martin & Co. ukulele. I'm so excited!! I have no idea how to determine what model it is though. Inside the sound hole is just a stamp that says "C.F. Martin & Co. Nazareth, PA Made in the USA." I'll post some pictures here in a bit, once I get them sent from my phone to my comp.

Help me determine what this bad boy is....please!! :shaka:

It came!!! I opened a box to find a cool little case and inside a beautiful C.F. Martin & Co. ukulele. I'm so excited!! I have no idea how to determine what model it is though. Inside the sound hole is just a stamp that says "C.F. Martin & Co. Nazareth, PA Made in the USA." I'll post some pictures here in a bit, once I get them sent from my phone to my comp.

Help me determine what this bad boy is....please!! :shaka:

R U FRIGGIN KIDDING? It was a Martin? You don't really need to know anything else. LOL That is my dream Uku. a Vintage Martin! Do you know what you have? Congrat's Guy. What kind of shape is it in? If you measure it from top to bottom, people on UU can at least tell you the style that it is. But I am very anxious to know what kind of condition the uku is in. Post a lot of pictures to make me drool please. :drool::drool::drool:

Sounds like you're going to have to add a uku to your signiture! Again, Congrat's and enjoy your new baby, though she is probably older then you are. LOL

Yea I know, so crazy. You're right, the model isnt as important as the fact that I just got a family heirloom that happens to be a Martin ukulele!! Here's a few pics. Sorry for the poor lighting. I had to take them with my phone and I have to go to work soon, so this is the best I can do for now.

Martin04.jpgMartin07.jpgMartin01.jpgMartin02.jpgMartin05.jpg

Top Bottom