PDA

View Full Version : Lanikai Uke.

Answerz222
01-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Hi everyone. I was wondering if any of you could enlighten me on the Lanikai brand of Ukuleles. I was think about getting one. I am very new to Ukulele so I don't want to spend a lot of money and this is one of the cheapest ones I have found.. It is the Lanikai LU-21 Standard from Guitar Center. I am not sure that this is the correct place to be looking for Ukuleles. So can anyone tell me the best place to purchase Ukuleles and what brand is good for beginners?

Thanks

- Answerz222

thejumpingflea
01-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi everyone. I was wondering if any of you could enlighten me on the Lanikai brand of Ukuleles. I was think about getting one. I am very new to Ukulele so I don't want to spend a lot of money and this is one of the cheapest ones I have found.. It is the Lanikai LU-21 Standard from Guitar Center. I am not sure that this is the correct place to be looking for Ukuleles. So can anyone tell me the best place to purchase Ukuleles and what brand is good for beginners?

Thanks

- Answerz222

My first uke was the Lanikai LU-21 standard. I got it at a local music store and loved it.

ukulelearp
01-10-2010, 11:09 AM
They're about as good as it's going to get for the price. Not bad.

ukejack82
01-10-2010, 11:13 AM
I purchased that exact model several weeks back from a local guitar shop. I have absolutely loved it and I think the sound is pretty decent. Since this is the first musical instrument I have ever learned, I wanted to get something economical but good. I believe it is good value for the money. I hope to add to my uke collection as my skills improve.

- Jack

Answerz222
01-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks this has helped a lot.

pdxuke
01-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks this has helped a lot.

I need to add a cautionary note:

I never liked my LU21C. And I think the reason is the action was set too high, and it never was set up to its best advantage. I know Mike at MGM no longer sells these. For you Lanikai lovers, what is a reliable online shop that will set these up properly? Who do you buy from for this line?

seeso
01-10-2010, 11:50 AM
I have the concert and the tenor electric version of this Lanikai, and I love both of them. I didn't buy them online, I bought them at a local store. The action was fine for me out of the box.

Richie23
01-10-2010, 12:27 PM
I have the soprano LU21, great for the price, it goes everywhere with me. For what they cost, they are decent enough and will get you started. Once you reach the point where you are uke-hooked then start looking at more costly, better setup instruments.

strum4ever
01-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Elderly Instruments sells Lanikai ukuleles, and they do set up as well. Very happy with my solid spruce tenor.

Answerz222
01-10-2010, 01:12 PM
So it would be a good idea for me to check them out then? I definitely feel as if I can trust Guitar Center. There is one here local and they do a pretty good job of setting up stuff. I might also go by Nashville Used Music. They sell both Used and New Ukuleles so I think that might be my best bet. Then I can play and get a feel for the one I like.

seeso
01-10-2010, 03:27 PM
So it would be a good idea for me to check them out then?

An majority of us say yes.

theukuleleman
01-10-2010, 03:37 PM
i bought one as a gift for christmas from amazon. i tuned before i gave it away and it took about a week before it started staying in tune but now it sound looks and fells great!