Most portable uke?

StereoJoker

Reaction score
I've been eyeing the Ohana sopranino for quite some time, but since coming across some semi-affordable (at least for my dirt-poor Ramen noodle budget) Kala thin body sopranos, I'm torn. I know they're two completely different machines, but I can't really make up my mind in terms of preferring one over the other - I love both of their sounds, their designs, their playability and I trust the production quality of both companies. My biggest concern for another acquisition (if I even bother to purchase another, which I'll explain in a minute) would be portability.

Ideally, I'd like to have the smallest version of uke as possible. My fingers are fairly slender and nimble (is it possible to be Narcissistic about hands? geez), so fretting and fingerpicking aren't issues for me when it comes to managing smaller fret spaces. I'm also aware of what kinds of tones I'd be sacrificing the more compact a string instrument is. Of course, it's going to be impossible for me to play some kind of custom, ridiculously small twelve-inch ultra-sopranino (or whatever; it doesn't exist, as far as I know) properly, so I've got the smallest ukes narrowed down, for the most part.

Here's my problem: I'm not entirely sure if I should dish out the extra cash for another uke if the size difference isn't really all that substantial. Then again, "substantial" is a pretty subjective assessment, but I guess that's where you guys come in. The difference between the standard soprano and the sopranino is a couple inches in length, right? Do those couple inches really increase the portability? Or is it the size of the body that affects it more?

I'm not sure if I articulated my question very well, but I'm basically asking if it's all that significant a size difference from a soprano (especially the models I mentioned, since I factored in the width of the design, too). What do you find is the most portable ukulele?

My most portable, and most durable, my Risa Solid Soprano. I love that little thing! It fits nicely into my backpack and it goes with me everywhere.

Inside its case, the whole thing measures about 19x5x2". In the case, I have a tuner, a 3' cable, and a Lisheng mini amp, in case I need the volume.

Without the amp it's very quiet, which is nice for practicing without bothering anyone. With my mini amp on, it's about the volume of my acoustic concert ukes, and on overdrive I can rock the house!

I'm able to stick the a Travel Tenor in my backpack, along with my computer.
Hope that helps.

Aw, I completely forgot about the RISA. Now I gotta make a third row on my Pros and Cons list here.

That would be perfect, too, since I have a Line 6 Spider III amp I use for my acoustic/electric guitar and I could get some more mileage out of it with a solid electric uke. The only problem is that it's kinda difficult to find a seller that isn't charging something like $300-$400 for it (I think it's only around £150-£199; go Team Suffering US Dollar!). Apparently, Elderly Instruments sold it at $135 at one point (I would have totally jumped on that).

Okay, I'm going to see if I can hustle some people at the local bars for some dough. BRB, you guys.

(...wait. The bill for resetting my jaw, getting casts on my legs, renting a wheelchair for a couple months, and a year of physical therapy would probably not be worth it. No, no, it definitely is.)

Last edited:
I have a Tangi Gecko sopranino but I consider my soprano FLEA my most portable 'ukulele because of it's indestructible nature, can stuff it anywhere and not worry about damaging it. I bought mine used in excellent condition for $100 and have seen several more for the same price since on Craigslist.

Don't forget the Eleuke.

Any of the above are great ukes.

As for portability this is my list:

1. Risa
2. Eleuke
3. Ohana sopranino / Kala travel uke

If you need acoustic tone: Kala is bright and punchy, Ohana is rich and loud too. Whilst the Kala is slimmer, the Ohana is smaller overall. As for indestructable travel partner, you can't knock the Risa and Eleukes.

Risa is the smallest but does not have volume and tone control and is not active. The new Eleukes have all of this and an MP3 input but are bigger than the Risa ukes.

I am glad I don't have to choose between these ukes!

Put a soprano Flea on your list. For me, one aspect of portability is durability, and you'd be hard pressed to find a more rugged uke. My concert Flea travels all around the country with me, stuffed into my rolling carryon. I'd be less comfortable doing that with a more fancy or delicate instrument.

Good point about durability. How about a Makala dolphin soprano?! Cheap, colourful, fun to play, bomb-proof.

Have you looked at the Lanikia 21 Soprano? I don't have a lot of experience with many differnet uku's yet but This thing is pretty small and I picked mine up for $60 on Amazon.com I think it sounds pretty good and since it comes with a set of Aquila strings, it a good deal.

Product Dimensions: 21 x 6.6 x 2.4 inches ; 14.4 ounces

Have you looked at the Lanikia 21 Soprano? I don't have a lot of experience with many differnet uku's yet but This thing is pretty small and I picked mine up for $60 on Amazon.com I think it sounds pretty good and since it comes with a set of Aquila strings, it a good deal.

Product Dimensions: 21 x 6.6 x 2.4 inches ; 14.4 ounces

Agreed - that's another good candidate. I've got one, and it's light as a feather, and easily fits into a rolling carry-on.

Ukisociety took his Ohana sopranino all around Russia with no problems - I had one briefly and it struck me as a real quality, solid instrument.

Wow. This decision just got even more difficult. I thought I had my choices narrowed down, but nope, you all had to add in your two cents and complicate things. Gee, thanks.

But in all seriousness, thank you for this information (I find personal experiences more useful than standard fact sheets, so this really helps)! I guess now all that's left is curiosity: does the length of the ukulele or body thickness make a bigger difference in stowing it away?

As for that "gitar", I'm pretty sure I could never find anything as ace as that. That is a most excellent instrument. I'm jealous.

Top Bottom