Kala Lacewood/Sprucetop vs Kala Koa laminate/Cedartop

Jackstraw

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, so I hope I don't mess it up.
I'm about to buy a third tenor. I'm considering a Kala KTE CT Koa laminate body with cedar top and a Kala ASLAC-CE solid Lacewood body with spruce top. (OK, also considering the KTE SP Koa laminate with spruce top.)
I don't really like the looks of the lacewood, but from the videos I've heard it seems to sound wonderful in terms of balance and clarity. I love the look of the cedartop, but I'm worried that it may not be bright-sounding enough, or may be muddy. I'd think the koa laminate sprucetop would be bright, but maybe not have much low end, although I haven't heard one.
Would anyone care to offer an opinion? Especially anyone who's played one of these? Thanks.

Well, never mind. I decided on a Kala acacia tenor with the slotted headstock, and mgm is putting in a Mi-Si pickup. Problem solved! I can hardly wait.

Well, never mind. I decided on a Kala acacia tenor with the slotted headstock, and mgm is putting in a Mi-Si pickup. Problem solved! I can hardly wait.

Congratulations. I have one and love it... I'm sure you will also.

Congratulations. I have one and love it... I'm sure you will also.

That's great to hear. It wasn't what I thought I wanted at first, but now I feel really good about my decision. Everyone seems to like them.

That's good to hear. My craving for a cedartop hasn't diminished. I just love the sound and look of cedar. If I could have gotten 2, that would've been the second one. So now it's at the top of the list.

Top Bottom