Beginner question

Hi rreffner. The space between the string and the top of the first fret should be about 1/16th on a soprano, and about 1/8th to 3/16ths at the 12th fret. If you flatten a pencil and run it along the frets you can accurately mark the nut which will give you a reference line for slotting the nut. See photo.

I've yet to build a concert or tenor so I'm not sure about those.

VicD: much as i dont' want to say this - you are wrong because the advice you give is confusing. Do you mean action at the 12th I wonder?

Of course you are correct with the pencil trick. I suggest the factory setting height is at the top of the pencil line and the 'players' action is at the bottom depending how thick that line is. I use this method as a guide but end up doing it by eye because sometimes, you want that 2nd string just a smidgen higher than the rest... Look online for 'height mojo' tools. You may find one...

Last edited:
Yep, I mean action at the 12th fret. According to stew mac the height (action) between the string and first fret should be about 1/16th and about 1/8th to 3/16ths at the 12th fret. I've got the same information from other sites. That may be considered a "factory" setting and lowering the action would depend on strings and other things, your own personal setup. You want to shoot for the string to ride just a hair over the first fret, as close as you can get without creating buzz.
Now I'm confused... why is this wrong?
Also, what is the mojo tool? Can't find it.

From stew mac : "Set the string actionThe height of the strings over the frets is called the “action."This height is controlled by the nut and saddle. The stringaction at the first fret should be 1/16" and the string actionat the last fret should be 5/32".For example, the distance from the “G" string and the firstfret should be 1/16". If you don’t have nut-slotting saws, youcan adjust this slot with a fine-tooth hacksaw blade. Checkthe height of the string at the 12th fret: this should be 1/8"- 3/16". To adjust this height, sand material off the bottomof the saddle. Only the nut adjustment will be needed forthe other strings."

Last edited:
Ok, what I should have said in my first reply is that a lot of people feel
that the action to shoot for for a beginner is (blah blah see above) but really
nice action takes some finesse. Those measurements will get you in the ball park.
You want the lowest action possible without string buzz.
If you take a good look at the photo I posted you will notice that the strings are nowhere near 1/16th of an inch above the frets but a little over half that, and the 2nd string is just a smidge higher than the rest. Then you might also notice that I filed the nut slots at an angle just slightly less than the angle of the nut to tuning key, this insures that the string will ride snugly in the slot and leave the nut at the fretboard edge, therefore eliminating another source of string buzz. The action at the 12th fret is also less than 1/8th of an inch. This was my first shot and I'm going to tweak it just a hair more at the saddle but the action is excellent as it is.
I appologize for my first post, after I posted it I had a nagging feeling that I was being lazy and should go into more detail, but I was tired and my noggin needed a rest. I really appreciate the opportunity to learn from the super talented group of builders here on Ukulele Underground. Props to all of you.

vic, its all good homey...

This is a beginner question- as in a question from a beginner, not a remedial question. I dont think there was anything wrong with your description at a basic introduction to the subject...and I'm personally glad you said what you said, so I can compare what is somewhat factory standard with what is premier custom from Chuck. It gives a good rounded perspective.

Chuck...you da man. I'm gonna have to measure it out and see what mine are, but I'm gonna say around 1/8 at the 12th. I do that alot cuz I typically use factory stock cuts from your basic place like Lowe's for a freboard. It may look even all the way down the length, but doesnt necesarrily make it so. Consequently, I leave a little extra room on the action...but just a little.

Top Bottom