Red/pink koa...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
You've read in my many posts about the holy grail (for me at least) of koa being a red/pink variety I got from Winkler in the mid 90s but have been unable to get since. I have until now been constantly on the hunt for it and now have lost heart. I quote:
The red koa is from a property already logged out.Hard to find that type any more.Yes be carefull buying koa there are
alot of clowns that think they are lumber kings

I am very sad.

Steve here:

Got any pics Pete? I"ll see what I can do. Pink color when milling Koa can be an indicator of dry rot, obviously what you had wasn't. Light color often indicates low elevation wood too, which in itself isn't bad. Was it really curly?
I have had quite a bit of light colored wood, in fact just put some sets of it up. I have a Weissenborn customer that loves it because he says it replicates the look of the old Weissenborns of times past.

Just had to add I agree with the clown comment. I was there buying wood last spring and saw plenty of that. There is a guy with thousands of feet of mostly flat sawn wood, becasue he didn't care/know enough to do it right.

Last edited:
Steve
It was a light as a feather and sold as FC which is now AAA. Very subtle curl and it was a true pink, no golden tones at all. I know lots of luthiers swear by the high elevation logs but this was incredible. I built all of my Weissenborns from it and they were all killer guitars. What I would require is one piece tops and backs for sopranos - I dislike the bookmatch look on these instruments.

Top Bottom