Famous People who play ukulele

Poi Dog

Reaction score
I was just wondering...

How many FAMOUS people can you think of that play (or played) the ukulele? (Not including those that became famous because of the uke is what I'm getting at.)

Example:

Adam Sandler
50Ukulele.jpeg

William H. Macy
macy.jpg

Steve Martin - of course that's a banjo, duh... but he plays the uke too! LOL
martin-steve-photo-steve-martin-6230663.jpg

Marilyn Monroe
Aug19monroe.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not really into investment banking, but Warren Buffet also plays the uke (he begins his shareholder's meetings with it).

Warren_Buffet_presidente_Berkshire_.jpg

Last edited:
How good would one have to be to "play" the ukulele? It is not unthinkable that a musician such as Lennon makes "more" out of his ukulele than the bank tyfoon, musically speaking.
It just reminded me of people who say that they "speak" a language, or the inevitable "how many languages do you speak" question here in Japan, while there is no exact measure except for the fact that certain people "speak" many languages up to a certain level. How many chords do an ukulele player make? Picking yes or no?

I don't know, that Buffet man just got me thinking. He must be confident enough to go on stage though, I mean stock is delicate matter. The Macy tune is kind of cute.

How good would one have to be to "play" the ukulele? It is not unthinkable that a musician such as Lennon makes "more" out of his ukulele than the bank tyfoon, musically speaking.
It just reminded me of people who say that they "speak" a language, or the inevitable "how many languages do you speak" question here in Japan, while there is no exact measure except for the fact that certain people "speak" many languages up to a certain level. How many chords do an ukulele player make? Picking yes or no?

I don't know, that Buffet man just got me thinking. He must be confident enough to go on stage though, I mean stock is delicate matter. The Macy tune is kind of cute.

Buffet is really good, he has been playing for years. I have a feeling he could put a few of us here on the site to shame.

The video shows Buffet strumming very ably along with the band without watching his fingers. He can play, but he sings like a banker...

I always figure if you can string three chords together you can play. maybe not well, but enough for a song or two. String together a 1-4-5 progression and you can play thousands of songs...

Anybody know what the ukulele make of choice is for the second richest man in the US?

The video shows Buffet strumming very ably along with the band without watching his fingers. He can play, but he sings like a banker...

I always figure if you can string three chords together you can play. maybe not well, but enough for a song or two. String together a 1-4-5 progression and you can play thousands of songs...

Anybody know what the ukulele make of choice is for the second richest man in the US?

I think I read somewhere that he plays an Oscar Schmidt.

edit: reply to post #8, you people react fast...

Yes, I did not imply that anyone was not good at playing. It's just that the posing pictures made me think that perhaps these people each have their reasons for holding that ukulele, but that passers-by will be judging them by how well they "play" or not.

Too late in this time zone to be philosophical though, sorry for the disturbance :)

edit: reply to post #8, you people react fast...

Yes, I did not imply that anyone was not good at playing. It's just that the posing pictures made me think that perhaps these people each have their reasons for holding that ukulele, but that passers-by will be judging them by how well they "play" or not.

Too late in this time zone to be philosophical though, sorry for the disturbance :)

No problem..this is a free forum...you can say what you want!!!!!!! :D

Buffet is really good, he has been playing for years. I have a feeling he could put a few of us here on the site to shame.
Mr. Warren Buffett is a good friend of Jimmy Buffetts....Jimmy calls him Uncle Warren although they are not related, (Warren's wife had a DNA test done because they thought they might be). And by the way, it's Buffett with two T's.....And our own Jake tours frequently with Jimmy.....

I think I read somewhere that he plays an Oscar Schmidt.

Now I know the man has a wonderful reputation for modest living and frugality, but you'd think he might be willing to spring a little bit more for a better all around instrument. Maybe not a flashy custom job with all sorts of bells and whistles, but at least a decent solid wood one...

Also I was watching an old Warner Brothers cartoon podcast yesterday "the Case of the Missing Hare" and at the very very end just before the credits roll Bugs whips out a uke and strums bit.. (starts playing at 8:08)

John Lennon was never that into the ukulele. Warren Buffet plays his pretty regularly, from what I understand.

So in that way, isn't Buffet *MORE* of a ukulele player than Lennon?
(Keep in mind, too, that John Lennon wasn't ever really known for his skill on guitar, either...)

Now I know the man has a wonderful reputation for modest living and frugality, but you'd think he might be willing to spring a little bit more for a better all around instrument. Maybe not a flashy custom job with all sorts of bells and whistles, but at least a decent solid wood one...

Also I was watching an old Warner Brothers cartoon podcast yesterday "the Case of the Missing Hare" and at the very very end just before the credits roll Bugs whips out a uke and strums bit.. (starts playing at 8:08)

That DQ Uke is his...it is a Talsma....a VERY well made custom only ukulele by the gifted luthier David Talsma. Dave's base price is 1000 or so and goes up from there as you choose bindng and options, etc. I spoke to him once about doing a black slothead tenor and it was going to be about 1800 or so...not the most expensive out there, but not th least either. Worth it, though. Gerald Ross play a Talsma...I have held that instrument and it is easily the finest ukulele I have ever held...and I have a full custom tenor Kanile'a. The DQs were a pair...one sold at auction and one for WB to keep.

http://www.davetalsma.com/index.htm

John Lennon was never that into the ukulele. Warren Buffet plays his pretty regularly, from what I understand.

So in that way, isn't Buffet *MORE* of a ukulele player than Lennon?
(Keep in mind, too, that John Lennon wasn't ever really known for his skill on guitar, either...)

George Harrison was the big ukulele fan in the Fab Four.

Top Bottom