New Uke Day

kiddfixit

Reaction score
So I've checked the UPS tracking number and expect to receive my brand new Mainland Concert Uke today. Oh joy! Oh rapture! I only need to wade through the next 10 hours or so of paid servitude, and then ukulele bliss awaits me.

9 hours, 59 minutes to go.........

Lucky you! Which one did you choose? Mahogany? Cedar? Mango? Glossy? Matte? Details, man! Details!

I just got the call from my wife. My brand new Mainland Mahogany Concert Slotted Head Mate finish uku just arrived. Now I am sitting here thinking I should go home sick so I can be with my new Baby. Now what will I name her?

Congrat's on you new baby. What did you get?

Congrats! Pics or it didn't happen!

SHE HAS ARRIVED! I came home from work to find a large box waiting for me on my doorstep. The car was at least in park before I threw myself out the door and up the steps. I shook the box twice and only twice...I did not want to damage the precious contents. I then said one of the six words that will get you fined by the FCC as I realized that my car was indeed still in park...and running...I trudged down the stairs, parked the car, removed the keys, and then entered into my humble abode to open my package.

The Package: I sliced that puppy open and was mildly surprised to see that the package filler was last weeks store adds. Sears was having a killer sale on polos and knit sweaters...I need to see if that is a local or national promotion...At the bottom of the box was a black ukulele case. I pulled it out and also the rolled up "Mainland Ukes" poster that was enclosed. Like a used up cardboard box, I tossed aside the used up cardboard box.

The Uke Case: Black. Mysterious. Sturdy. What else could you want from your Uke case? (Complete side jag...Did anyone see Deperado? You know that scene where Antonion Banderas opens up the guitar case and the guns pop out of it? Yeah...I was thinking that was pretty cool too.) I opened the case.

The Uke: Wow! It was amazing. It shone...it glistened...it was truly a thing of beauty. I purchased a Mainland Red Cedar, Concert sized with the silver sealed tuners with ebony pegs. I cradeled the uke out of the case and rested it on my lap. I ran my hand down the sides, feeling the slick gloss finish on the pads of my fingertips. I lifted the uke to eye level, turning it, spinning it...trying to catch the right light. Wow! I've never owned anything like this before...I'm still learning to play and wanted an upgrade from my Makala starter uke. Yup, I sure upgraded. Then, honest to goodness, I sniffed it. I'm not sure what I was expecting, maybe new wood or glossy residues still lingering. Maybe a little of both. Anyway, after doing as much as I could actually do without playing it...I played it. A little tuning, a little strumming. It was glorious!

I will post pictures, but not tonight. No, tonight is just for me. And my wife...and kids...and 2 cats. But other than that, it's just for me.

Thanks Mike! Your uke is beautiful and I can't wait to really put some hours on it.

That was one of the best new uke day posts I've read! Congrats...have fun...remember to turn the car off...

Happy new uke day!

Congrats to your new uke! It's like a second christmas :D I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Dennis

Congratz on your uke!

just wait man. Mainlands don't really start showing their true beauty until after a couple days of solid playing. I appreciate mine more and more every day. Congrats and more importantly...HAVE FUN!!! You'll love it!!

Top Bottom