absolute beginner

janko1986

Reaction score
hi,
im 23 and i really got crazy about ukulele! i really badly want to learn it, but the problem is

1.i've never played any instrument...ever.im like total beginner,i dont know even the basics of notes,i dont know even what chord is.. i glanced over the "theory for noobs" thread,but i think its a little bit too complicated for me.im going to read more carefully to try understand it, but i doubt

2.im from Croatia,and we dont have any ukulele courses here.i could find few friends that play guitar-of what help could they be? what could they show me?

3.can u give me a link of some good ukulele online lessons.but really for total beginner(something like,put your finger here,thats that note...)

4.any other suggestions?

i think i could learn it,im not clumsy,i do have some sense for rhytm (i dance salsa) but as I said;i have no one to show me and some online lessons are little bit confusing for me as im a brutal beginner

thank u very much for any information u provide me with

janko

Last edited:
Hi janko1986,

Next month we be our one year anniversary since we started playing ukulele. Neither one of us had any music background, either. We had no teachers close to home, so without the internet lessons we may have stopped playing altogether.

The best online lessons for brand new players that we found were from Michael Lynch on YouTube. (He is also a forum member. )There are over 200 lessons and one section specifically for brand new players.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicTeacher2009#p/c/08F72FAFE7AB51F1/1/H_Y4PKj9EhM

Aldrine has a lot of great information on the front page of UU. too. We found Uke Minutes, Uke Got Mail and Live Lessons were great resources although a little miore advanced.

This forum has been a friendly, helpful and fun place, in general! So, welcome to UU.

Last edited:
I was going to contribute to this thread but Rick pretty much nailed what I was gonna say.

My only other suggestions is to search for artists that you really like on youtube and find ukulele covers. I did that the 1st day I got my uke and found Seeso's "I Shot the Sheriff" by Bob Marley. When you can relate to a song and you have a desire to learn it, things will be much easier, IMO, than starting from scratch. Once you find a song you want, look up the chord shapes and start learning some chords. This is a great site for chord shapes. I started with Jack Johnson songs. A lot of C, Em, A, Am, and G. All of them are very easy to play, with the exception of G. It took me a couple months before I could easily play G in the middle of a chord progression. You can have a lot of fun jamming with just C, Em, and either A or Am. Most of all, have fun and it will come easy :)

Top Bottom