Right Hand Position?

Krsnik87

Reaction score
When I'm strumming my finger falls between the 12th and 14th.

When picking I'm just behind the sound hole, should I move my hand up? What's considered the 'right' way to do it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like you are doing it right. Strumming above the sound hole gives the uke that "uke sound."

Yea I most always strum around the 12th fret. I'm not good at picking but when I do, it's mostly between the end of the neck and the sound hole. It really comes down to whatever is comfortable for you.

Well with the picking I'm happy behind the sound hole comfort and tone wise, I just don't want to pick up any bad habits before I find a teacher and get caned for it!

I was taught to strum right about where the neck meets the body...sometimes I go closer to the hole, kind of depends on the ukulele I'm playing. I do find that picking over the hole gives my thick fingers a little more leeway, and I kind of like having one area for each technique! I have noticed a lot of players do that, too!
:music:

That sounds fine...
Technically i think it is supposed to be strummed at the end of the fingerboard (above the soundhole) but i sometimes strum it where you do, near the 12th and 13th... I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

Strum it where you like the sound most.

Pick it where you like the sound most.

Those are the rules. :D

Strum it where you like the sound most.

Pick it where you like the sound most.

Those are the rules. :D

being new myself and seeing no sign of getting a teacher in sight, I had the same question and Darn, if this answer did make sence to me. thanks buddhuu.

Yea I most always strum around the 12th fret. I'm not good at picking but when I do, it's mostly between the end of the neck and the sound hole. It really comes down to whatever is comfortable for you.

Yes :agree: This is what I do as well. It really seems that what feels comfortable for you is pretty much what goes. But it is fun to try different styles and come up with your own unique style!!

Top Bottom