Pre Show/Open Mic Rituals

CoLmes

UU+
Reaction score
So I've played sports from when I was little to my last 2 years in college. Every athlete will tell you they have their own set of pregame rituals that gets them in the zone, gets them comfortable and releases the jitters before the game. Michael Jordan ate Steak and Potatoes before every game, and wore his North Carolina College shorts under his Bulls Uniform every game. David Beckhem likes everything to be even, so say he has 3 full gatorade bottles in his locker room, he'd throw away one just so everything would stay even.

I was wondering if this type of stuff goes on in music.

Do you know of anyone that had any weird habits or rituals.

Do you do anything specific before you go on stage to get yourself comfortable and ready to perform?

Just something I've been wondering about. :D

My "preshow ritual" is to sweat profusely until dehydrated. on a serious note good luck.

No rituals for me. I just get up and play.

JJ

I treat it like I'm gonna play a game of basketball or something. I stretch out, do a few push-ups, just get the blood pumping. Psych myself up. I also warm up my voice.

I don't normally do this for open mics, only full shows.

My personal pre-show routine tends to go a little like this:

1. Breathe in and out in heavy, deliberate sets
2. Increase number and speed of breaths inhaled and exhaled
3. Hyperventilate
4. Curl up in the fetal position in a corner
5. Try to grab on to the floorboards as I'm being dragged out onstage

But no, really, I keep this little carved jasper bear in my pocket as a sort of good luck token and I'll often fidget with it before the performance to sort of distract me.

Be sure to have eaten. I've heard that bananas are good for calming the system.

For myself, I mostly concentrate on over-thinking the show, then do all I can to forget the lyrics, then panic when my fingers forget how to fing. Odd, I have no trouble when speaking in public. Playing and singing is a whole 'nother bugger altogether.

Top Bottom