Restringing my 8 string

UkuBuku

Reaction score
First post, and I'd like to introduce myself a little. I bought my first ukulele last summer while I was in china. It was a cheapo soprano, no name brand but of decent playability. It kept my fingers sharp for guitar while I was away for the summer, but the ukulele bug bit me.

Few days ago my Lanikai LU-8 Tenor ukulele with 8 strings came in. The sound is amazing and I love playing it. However, the factory strings aren't anything special and they did a poor job of winding them, so I would like to restring it.

I have two packs of D'addario Pro Arte Tenor strings (J71)
A is 0.0285"
E is 0.0327"
C is 0.0410"
G is 0.0290"

I figured since the A and E is doubled, I can use these from the packs, and then one of the C's and one of the G's, but my question is, what do I do about the C and G that are an octave above? Do I have to buy a special 8 string pack, or do they sell them individually, and how do I know if its a C and a G string?

Thanks for the help and I look forward to being a part of this forum :)

You're actually gonna need a low g and a low c. I know you can use a classical guitar D string for a low g, just not sure what to use for a low c.

does anyone have a solution? i am emailing musicians friend, and I can stop in at my local guitar shop and they can custom order some for me, which wouldnt be too expensive. the strings go out of tune pretty fast and I am almost certain its due to the current stringing.

I get my strings online, and they are pretty cheap. There is a Uke Minute video on how to tie them down.

Top Bottom