Ohana SK-25Z

hinst

Reaction score
i'm looking to buy my first Uke very shortly, i play guitar but have no ukulele experience,

i love the look of the zebrawood on the Ohana , and from youtube it seems to have a very nice sound.

is it a good starter Ukulele?

I have the Ohana Zebrawood, and it is a very nicely made ukulele. It has a very plucky uke-sound. Good intonation. It comes with quality friction tuners, which could be a little tricky for a beginner. Geared tuners are easier, especially if you come from a guitar background. However, sopranos tend to come with friction tuners, and you are not likely to find many Zebrawood choices out there. Friction tuners are lighter, so the head is less heavy than with geared tuners. Make sure it gets set-up before you take it home. Some places have Ohanas on display without being set-up, and they can seem unplayable because of high action. Also, if you can, see a photo or choose the uke in person, because each Zebrawood uke has a variations in its striped woodgrain. I have found that Worth Brown strings sound very nice on this uke.

–Lori

HI thanks for your reply. From what I've heard people seem to hate friction tuners... But I'm ok with trying it out and then I'll decide what to do about them. My one question is what is involved in an ukulele being "set-up". (sorry for my n00bness)

Thanks

Top Bottom