Ukulele: Unknown?

StereoJoker

Reaction score
I got a new uke today. Technically, it was given to me as a belated Christmas present by a friend of mine, who had received it as a gift a year ago and figured I'd get more use out of it, or at least add it to my ever-growing collection of random instruments (I don't just have UAS, I have IAS). Now, I don't mind that this was a re-gift, nor do I mind that this particular ukulele is on the "cheaply-made" end of the scale (it is a uke, after all). What's bothering me is that I have absolutely no idea what kind of ukulele this is other than that it's a. a soprano, and b. a solid-body.

Apparently, I've managed to surround myself with friends who have frustratingly unobservant minds. I asked about the wood, the strings, the brand, and when I just got "I dunno" as an answer to all of those, I thought I just might be able to get some clues about where the original gift-giver purchased the instrument (I know I was stretching with that one, but I was desperate at that point). No luck. I tried looking up some things online, but I kept striking out. I thought you folks would be able to help me here.

Exhibit A: The ukulele itself

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

It's a standard soprano at 21 in. x 6.5 in. x 2.5 in. I'm going to take a stab at the wood and say it's mahogany because it appears to be made from a wood with the same grain as my Oscar Schmidt, but I'm not sure.

Exhibit B: Specs

The headstock is unlabeled, the nut is a piece of white plastic, and the tuning pegs are black plastic (and ridiculously difficult to keep from twisting the strings out of tune).

I don't know if you can tell from these photos, but the fretboard looks like it was sanded (pretty unevenly, too) and has filed metal frets with inconsistent lengths. The inlays are a clouded white kind of plastic, while the saddle is made of the same white plastic as the nut. The bridge is kind of haphazardly glued onto the soundboard (there's visible adhesive residue around the edges).

Exhibit C: The label

The only thing that's given me any sort of clue is the label inside the uke, but even that led to a dead end. This uke obviously came from a factory in China, but I have no idea what "Harmonia" is. I've never heard of it and I can't find anything on it as a company or model name or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Apparently they make flutes, mandolins, and violins also...
http://uplayinstruments.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=44

Direct link to the uke:
http://uplayinstruments.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=44&products_id=664&osCsid=fa4f0fd34eae029edd94682a0b2402a3

And the description:

Soprano Ukulele
• White Wood Body • Maple Neck & Fretboard .
• Friction Peg Tuners .
• 12 Frets.
• Inlaid Position Markers.
• Matte Finish.

Yours may be an upgraded model though...just thinking while looking at the inlay look around the sound hole and the grain, but it's a start.
I hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
That does! I didn't realize "Harmonia" was a legitimate manufacturer. My Googlin' skills aren't as elite as I thought. Thanks!

I got to say: this seem to me like one of those innumerable cheap chinese ukes that come with hundreds of different names and brands. and I seriously doubt that it's made from solid wood.

the uke in this video is not the same model, but I still think it's the same stuff...

You're right; it isn't solid. The tone isn't as bad as that Burswood (the sound actually resonates pretty well, considering), but all the other problems (the ridiculously high action, the off-center bridge, the general unplayability) are about the same.

I just lucked out without having to pay anything for this particular instrument. I have a feeling it's going to be a tester for some custom artwork. :D

Top Bottom