PDA

View Full Version : What do you play when you want to show off?

ukulelearp
01-11-2010, 05:04 PM
When someone asks you to play something, what do you usually play? What songs do you like to show off your craazy ukulele skills with? I like doing a fingerstyle version of Hey Jude.

Melissa82
01-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Anything. People don't listen to me if I'm naked...

I mean... I don't have crazy uke skills so whatever I can manage to strum. :) I usually get a nod saying: "Ok, crazy girl, good job. Put the uke down."

KC8AFW
01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
People don't listen to me if I'm naked...

I'm sorry...did you say something? ;)

Aldrine Guerrero
01-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Definitely tiptoe through the tulips :D

thejumpingflea
01-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm Yours .

pdxuke
01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Five Foot Two and Tip Toe Through The Tulips. Sometimes Ring of Fire! And The best strummer I own is my Sprucehouse, so I ususally reach for that (and anyway strumming is about all I can do so far!)

phanzo
01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm Yours .

Good one Matt :mraz:

I would actually LOVE to see you play this :) I showed my boss the video of Tiny Tim playing it the other day bc he makes fun of me for spending so much time on here while I'm at work. He was blown away by Tim's....weirdness? :)

dianalele
01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
totally depends on who im showing off for.
If its a crowd of ...eh how shall I put this.. hipsters? I play some lady gaga or britney spears.
If I'm showing off to like.. my grandma or.. to my professors at college, I'll do a classical piece arranged for ukulele.

itsme
01-11-2010, 06:35 PM
I've actually never been asked to play anything. :(

But if I were, I'd probably do some fingerstyle classical, Bach or whatever.

keithy351
01-11-2010, 10:07 PM
funally enough when i wanna "show off" or impress its usually the simplest songs that impress, ka'au crater boys tunes always really seem to do it, but its usually a jake arangement that'll do it

raecarter
01-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I've only been playing a month and a half so don't know many actual uke tabs so I'm gonna say no woman no cry

jforrest
01-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Melissa,

Your uke skills are excellent! I'd suggest you wow them with
Dream a Little Dream of Me.

John

nohandles
01-11-2010, 11:36 PM
White sandy beaches, Summer Time and Tied the Whipping Post. Try to mix it up a little bit.

harpdog
01-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Play to show off?
guitar

kendra
01-12-2010, 01:34 AM
I do a mean version of Britney Spears "Toxic".

I think mostly because "Toxic" is not your typical uke song and I find it hilarious to perform people remember me for it. I have met friends of friends several times who have greeted me with, "Oh yeah! you're that woman who played Toxic on the ukulele!"

rreffner
01-12-2010, 01:47 AM
My dog loves whatever I play. People leave the room!

deach
01-12-2010, 02:03 AM

LMAO! Yeah right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjgkv0-MjMM

Ukulele JJ
01-12-2010, 02:30 AM
When someone asks you to play something, what do you usually play? What songs do you like to show off your craazy ukulele skills with?

Who says that these two things have to go together?

I'd be inclined to play something relatively simple if someone asked me to play something. I want them to realize that the ukulele is for them too. I'm not really interested much in "showing off".

Heck, I'm more likely to try to show them how to play something than to play something myself. :-)

JJ

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-12-2010, 02:46 AM
I'm sorry...did you say something? ;)

yes, yes she did.

I play guava jam. about 1minute of it.... or unless I see they are no longer amazed.

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-12-2010, 02:48 AM
hey jude is awesome. i'd love to see the tab to WS64's version. AWESOME SONG

RevWill
01-12-2010, 02:51 AM
While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Oddly enough it's become the Stairway to Heaven of the uke. To all of us it's become a bit tired and passe, but lots and lots of non-ukers are familiar with Jake's performance at Strawberry Fields in Central Park and they're really impressed if you can do it.

That, and Elephant Town

paraclete
01-12-2010, 03:00 AM
When someone asks you to play something, what do you usually play? What songs do you like to show off your craazy ukulele skills with?.

My classical guitar? I don't have crazy uke skills yet. Bye Bye Blackbird, maybe.

Sic_Rob
01-12-2010, 03:51 AM
[QUOTE=Melissa82;297362]Anything. People don't listen to me if I'm naked...

I don't know if a new noderator should be saying such things. That is unless she posts the video. :)

Sic_Rob
01-12-2010, 03:53 AM
While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Oddly enough it's become the Stairway to Heaven of the uke. To all of us it's become a bit tired and passe, but lots and lots of non-ukers are familiar with Jake's performance at Strawberry Fields in Central Park and they're really impressed if you can do it.

I am a Ukuer and I am inpressed if you can do it.

Sic_Rob
01-12-2010, 03:58 AM
I played "Are you Lowsome tonight for my 6 year old daughter. We sing it together every night before bed. She said it didn't sound like it. Don't think I'll be playing for people anymore for a while.

Harold O.
01-12-2010, 06:39 AM
No one is very impressed that I can do anything. But when the need calls, I whip out Five Foot Three:

"Five Foot Three"

[F]Five foot three, [A7]eyes of brown
And [D7]so I changed the words around,
To [G7]match up better [C7]with my [F]wife

[F]Two growing girls, [A7]dog, cat and fish
[D7]Seems I got my every wish
When [G7]Diane [C7]became my [F]wife

Bridge:
So when you [A7]see her at five foot three, [D7]feet flat on the floor,
[G7]know this, dude, she’s the smartest in the room,
[C7.]And it’s her that I adore, [G7]She...

[F]don’t like how I write, [A7]or how I sing
But [D7]she likes most every other thing
I’m [G7]happy with my [C7]five foot [F]three!

mailman
01-12-2010, 07:13 AM
I've never been asked to play, and wouldn't know what to choose if someone did. I have trouble playing anything from memory, and seem to need the song sheet in front of me. I know. Not very impressive.

seeso
01-12-2010, 07:29 AM
I'm trying to work out an arrangement of Little Wing. I'm almost there, but I like to play the intro to show people what the uke can do.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?1156-hey-jude&p=15678#post15678

Brad Bordessa
01-12-2010, 07:37 AM
I don't really have any need to be flashy - I just need a little respect. But when someone asks me to play something it's not finding a cool song that's a problem, it's finding ANY song. As soon as someone says "play us something" [*poof*] all the songs I know go out of my head. So I usually have a couple in mind so that I'm prepared if someone asks.

Play what you like, what you think is pretty. Don't feel like you have to nail "Third Stream" to win somebody's respect. Most people think that Tiny Tim was the height of 'ukulele playing - that makes your life really easy! Anything you play will be an improvement and they will be impressed ("wow... I didn't know the 'ukulele could do that!").

That said, I would play something like "Sand Castles" or "Little Rock Getaway".

casarole45
01-12-2010, 07:48 AM

."

Really? I usually get a can of mace in the face when I try that :p

tell me your secret... oh hang on... I understand ;)

casarole45
01-12-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm trying to work out an arrangement of Little Wing. I'm almost there, but I like to play the intro to show people what the uke can do.

I'm guessing you've heard facemeltingukulele's version... that is actually the first proper uke song I ever heard and inspired me to buy my first uke =D

seeso
01-12-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm guessing you've heard facemeltingukulele's version... that is actually the first proper uke song I ever heard and inspired me to buy my first uke =D

Oh yeah. I've seen him play it sitting right next to me. It's amazing. Mine is different. One of these days I'll post it.

casarole45
01-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Oh yeah. I've seen him play it sitting right next to me. It's amazing. Mine is different. One of these days I'll post it.

wicked, can't wait to hear it!

haole
01-12-2010, 08:36 AM
I usually bust out a few bars of "Uke on a Stick" or "Let's Dance" to show them what the uke can do. But my most requested song is "Tiptoe", and within 3 seconds of my dreadful falsetto they usually get the point and ask me to stop. :(

ukulelearp
01-12-2010, 01:53 PM

That's what I'm talking about. Seeso did a tab and posted it here one time, but I can't find it with the search.

ukulelearp
01-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Found it! Scroll down a bit.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?1156-hey-jude/page2

Ukulele JJ
01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
But when someone asks me to play something it's not finding a cool song that's a problem, it's finding ANY song. As soon as someone says "play us something" [*poof*] all the songs I know go out of my head.

Same here. So here's the trick I use: Ask for requests. If they ask me to play something, I'll just say, "Sure! What would you like to hear?"

Most of the time, they'll throw several songs my way. Maybe one of them will be one I know. More often than not, one will remind me of one I know. Maybe another song by the same artist, or a song that's in the same style as the one they ask for. Either way, it helps me come up with a song to play and gives some instant "buy in" from the audience.

JJ

berylbite
01-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I improv blues stuff,

ukulollo
01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
If I have my sopranino i start with ain't she sweet, to make them smile (in italy people are not use to ukulele yet). Then i tell them that with the uke you can play anything and I start with kiss (prince)
If I have my low G tenor i start with somewhere over the raimbow in the IZ version, wich is the only ukulele song known in italy! then I tell them that with uke you can play anything and I start with my rumba version of enjoy the silence.
If I have my concert i playEverybody's talking once again in rumba (it's an impressive style) then I thell them that with uke you can play anything and I start with billy jean intro.

This is also my way to ask for music dates in pubs and cafe. And I tell you it works!

Melissa82
01-12-2010, 02:36 PM
I do a mean version of Britney Spears "Toxic".

I think mostly because "Toxic" is not your typical uke song and I find it hilarious to perform people remember me for it. I have met friends of friends several times who have greeted me with, "Oh yeah! you're that woman who played Toxic on the ukulele!"Love that song! Would be interesting to hear on the uke.

I don't know if a new noderator should be saying such things. That is unless she posts the video. :)...there is the naked jam thread I have yet to post to.

Melissa,

Your uke skills are excellent! I'd suggest you wow them with
Dream a Little Dream of Me.

JohnYikes, thank you but that is way too hard for me, lol

PandaLuver
01-12-2010, 03:25 PM
i play the break up song by chris ramos

hugmepleaze
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
I play "just dance" by Lady Gaga fingerstyle or a bunch of riffs like "crazy train" etc.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-12-2010, 08:31 PM
LMAO! Yeah right!
That's how i showed off to you baby~
;)

mds725
01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
What do you play when you want to show off?

Another instrument? (Still learning my first few songs on the uke.)

casarole45
01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I just tend to improv some mellow finger picking when everyones chilling out, it makes for a real nice vibe..:cool:

Pukulele Pete
01-13-2010, 12:12 AM
I play "Minnie the Moocher" and "Daisy Clover" by Howlin Hobbit

whetu
01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
if my fingers are warmed up enough, I'll do the riff for Sweet Child of Mine. Otherwise, Girl - You'll Be A Woman Soon

buddhuu
01-13-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't play anything well enough to show off.

I'd probably just play something non-flashy that sounds nice. 'Summer Breeze', maybe.

wheelgunner
01-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I usually play "I'm looking over my dead dog Rover". I find that if people are focused on the odd song I'm playing they don't notice how badly I'm playing it.

Ahnko Honu
01-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Elephant Town

greyfox
01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Anything. People don't listen to me if I'm naked..."

Being new to the instrument, I'm in no position to show off. But I'd sure like to practice with Melissa! :)

Will

Skrik
01-13-2010, 07:40 PM
I resist the urge to show off.

whetu
01-13-2010, 08:25 PM

Has there been a scientific study to prove this claim? Where are the focus groups?! :D

buddhuu
01-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Elephant Town

Doh, why I didn't I think of that!

Melissa82
01-14-2010, 04:41 AM
Has there been a scientific study to prove this claim? Where are the focus groups?! :DIt's a secret!

Uke.
01-14-2010, 04:44 AM
I get asked to play something all the time because I play at lunch at school. I usually play Ken Middleton's arrangement of Arkansas Traveler, or Bluegrass Reel. Some people don't like the folky music but if we're just chilling it's really relaxing and atmospheric.

buddhuu
01-14-2010, 04:56 AM
[...] Some people don't like the folky music but if we're just chilling it's really relaxing and atmospheric.

Another benefit of acoustic folky music over amplified rock is that it still works in a power blackout!

jqrcaliman
01-14-2010, 08:08 AM
I play island woman the intro and solo usually get me some wows. and the range is pretty easy for me to sing.

Sic_Rob
01-14-2010, 08:31 AM

The sooner the better. I would love to hear it.

That brings up a thought I had Maybe someoneshould ask the powers that be on UU to create some kind of repository where people can store there Tab compellations. This example that SESO did of Hey Jude is a perfect example. So many people request these and as more and more new member join UU I'm sure there is a lot of repetitive requests. Plus it' stinks when someone puts the work into creating the tabs for everyone and it can't be found. Each tab could be ratedwith a difficulty level.What do you think? Who do I ask or mention this too. I think I feel a new thread coming. LOL Sorry but my geeky computer side is showing again. I will be happy to ask who ever need to be ask. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Mim
01-14-2010, 12:00 PM
I am such a brand new uke baby that I know very few songs without the chords in front of me, so I usually play Lucky by my Jason Mraz... but if I want to get people to giggle I like to play Faith by George Michael. Singing Faith like it is a "little diddy" is a sure fire 80s crowd pleaser ;)

jstabinsky
01-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Otherside. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Qi_0dkpsE

takesuoutswitch
01-14-2010, 11:15 PM
When it's for people that play guitar or ukulele I'll play either gently weeps or tetris, but ussually its people who don't play and apparently they think you can't really play unless you sing. Most people request I'm yours.

I've found that they're usually more impressed when you play and sing a song they recognize, but I also really like playing out of my league, and drop baby drop for people. ^_^

Tofukulele
01-29-2010, 01:07 PM
in my life or raindrops keep falling on my head. or just a simple super mario star theme :]

ukeCANjam
01-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Let's Dance!

Ronnie Aloha
01-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Elephant Walk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj5PTfxZ3HY

flea_bitten
01-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Awe no said Dueling Banjos... I love to hear that played on the uke. So I bought the sheet music (it's a bit hard because its arranged for the guitar/banjo, doh) and working on the clawhammer. One day... one day...

flea_bitten

dans003
08-01-2010, 06:38 AM
close to you

ive now learnt this 4 both my ukes - which have different tunings (gCEA and AECG) - and this is just brilliant, cos i dont have to sing (my voice is breaking)

mm stan
08-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Aloha Dan003,
Not sure what AECG sounds like....so I'm asking....what's it like???? HMM.......BTW- jus love the song.....
MM Stan...

Keef
08-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Valse op.64 no1 "Petit Chien" :) just kidding
I ha failed to complete a song yet But I will
However I have made up a really fast un named song that simulates talent I wish I had a way of sharing it

brunette_moment
08-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I've actually never been asked to play anything. :(

But if I were, I'd probably do some fingerstyle classical, Bach or whatever.

Play something, please. Post a video? There - you've been asked. :)

the_ominator
08-01-2010, 11:16 AM
because i'm not really good at playing, i play something funny like the smurfs or the funkytown theme.

benfoleyukulele
08-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Let's Dance!

All the way! :)

dans003
08-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Aloha Dan003,
Not sure what AECG sounds like....so I'm asking....what's it like????
I know, I know.
It's on my baritone. When I was tuning it in DGBE I was getting fret buzz alot. Long story short - I went tto the shop and they said I was tuning it wrong cos it had wierd (but nice) strings, and recommended AECG.
It actually really works!!! It really works with my uke for some reason!

farmerboy
08-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Awe no said Dueling Banjos... I love to hear that played on the uke. So I bought the sheet music (it's a bit hard because its arranged for the guitar/banjo, doh) and working on the clawhammer. One day... one day...

flea_bitten

It's not that hard - give it a go!

I play Sunshine of my Life by Stevie Wonder that I learned from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyuNe_g7dFA , but I don't play it with the swing.

UkuleleJarr
08-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Stairway to Heaven normally does the trick, but when its "sing us a song crazy ukulele man" i tend to go for Winter Winds by Mumford and Sons

koalition
08-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Honey Baby of course!

sukie
08-02-2010, 09:10 AM
I wish......

I've just about got DeG's Summer Camp memorized though. If that doesn't wow anyone I may quit playing.