Need a little help.....

therimidalv

Reaction score
Well, first off id like to say hi and that I've just picked the ukulele up. I am a guitar player and all, but still everyone needs some help. Here's my problem:
I've just gotten a new ukulele, tuned it and all, but the high A-string (the highest one) has a REAL annoying buzz which i can't get rid of, any help?:confused: Also, what in your opinion would be the best strings to get when I need them?

Last edited:
Is your action too low? Is there a chip in the nut or saddle? Are you fretting certain chords a little sloppy? Try Aquila Nylguts or Worths for some good volume inducing strings.

What kind of uke is it? New, used? Make, model, size? New strings?

it only buzzes when its played open. I know its not rubbing against the frets, its somethin to do with the nut i know that for sure i just dont know what

I had that a fair bit on my mahalo. after a while it stopped though.

Hey guys! I fixed it! Special thanks to NotoriousMOK, when i was taking pictures close up of the nut i noticed how the string sat really low IN the nut, now i just cut some of the rubber off my shoe, put it in there and now its sounds beautiful! Thanks again to all you guys!

You should really fix the nut, or better yet, change it (if you have to).

Depending on what kind of guitar you played (steel or nylon), sitting "in" the nut is not an entirely bad thing (depending on the string), as long as the slot is good - rounded bottom, correct spacing, allows the string to move (which, by the way, rubber won't).

Just because its low, doesn't mean its bad either. If your `ukulele came with a buzz, chances are that the action at the nut is high already, just the slot is not angled correctly. See Frank Ford's site for more details.

Bottom line - get rid of the rubber.
-Aaron

One tip for repairing a "too deep" nut slot is using Cyanoacrylate (super glue) and baking soda. Instead of baking soda you can use "sanding dust" from either plastic or wood (depends on what your nut is made of).

Pack the slot well with whatever "powder" you're using. Put a drop of the thin formula CYA on it. Let it set well. File the slot to the right depth.

For filing: a little bit, then a test, then a little bit, then a test, etc. is the way to go.

For the files themselves: you can either go to a luthier supply and buy an expensive (and high quality) set of nut files or, if you're just doing this occasionally, you can go to a good hardware store and get a set of the files they use to clean the tips on oxy-acetylene welders.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, make sure the "break angle" over the nut is good. And Kekani is right, Frank Ford's site, Frets.com, is a great resource.

Last edited:
Top Bottom