Convince me to buy a new uke!

Mopey

Reaction score
Its my birthday coming up soon and I am thinking about a new ukulele. I am also thinking that I may just be buying a new uke for the sake of it and that I don’t really need one! Shocking, I know. I was hoping that I could get some help convincing my self and also some suggestions on what kind of ukulele my collection is missing.

OK, I currently have –

2 sopranos – Kiwaya KS5 and Honu traditional.

1 concert – Kanilea K1

1 Tenor – Kala maple and spruce.

I don’t want another soprano as the two I have cover all bases. I have 2 ukes on the short list – Mainland concert, as I don’t have any mahogany in the collection, and a Kala archtop ukulele as I love the look of it. Also looking at the Kala Acacia tenor (though hear mixed things) and the Ohana Spruce and flamed maple cut away tenor. £300 pounds is my top limit, ideally £200.

So do I need another uke? and if so what do you think my collection needs?

BTW –

Previous uke’s have been –

Fluke, Flea, Ohana cedar and rosewood (all of which I wish I had never sold!) and a Brueko no 6.

Thanks!

Hey. . . you. . . Mopey. . . buy a new uke.

The Myamoe are lovely ukes, traditional with a bit of quirkyness. Just how I like them. Out of my price range though, so is the Kamaka. I could wait and save but...

i wouldnt buy any save ur money buy a k brand in the tenor size

I fear you may be right Grammy. All 4 ukes I currently own were bought last year, maybe I have burnt my self out!

I have only the one experience of the K brand ukes - my K1 concert. Its a nice uke, but is it 3 times better than my Kala tenor? Probably not. Not sure I would want drop £600 plus pounds on a uke without a good play through first and access to Kanilea and Kamaka in the Uk is pretty much zilch!

My advice to you is similar to what I say to people who say they want a tattoo, but don't have something specific in mind: don't get one for the sake of getting one, get one when it means something to you.
If there is no specific unfulfilled desire, treat yourself to something else instead.

This should do it for you. How many Ukulele's do you need? ONE MORE! So go get your Uke and quit torturing yourself. Doug

cmon man ..everyone is doing it!

I have a similar dilemma at the moment. I have only been playing for like 3 weeks and only have the one Uke, so I know I should(!) :drool: buy another Uke (I fancy a baritone for something a little different) but the problem is 'er indoors will probably batter me senseless/divorce me/castrate me/all the above if I do!

Go for it dude! You know it makes sense. You will keep torturing yourself about it until you do.

play your ukes for several hours of the day, until you have eard them enough. listen to other ukuleles on youtube, thats what convinces me to be completely honest.

Go for what you don't already have. That eliminates the Ohana spruce & maple tenor. You already own a spruce & maple tenor.

You don't have a Mainland.
You don't have a concert.
You don't have a mahogany.
You don't have (I don't think) a slotted headstock.
You don't have (at least you didn't mention) a uke with a pickup.

Now all you have to do is decide between matte finish or glossy!

Edit: I just rechecked the original post, and see that you do, indeed, have a concert. My mistake. I'd still buy the Mainland!

Last edited:
I have to agree with the mailman, especially since I just received my new Mainland, Mahogany, Concert, Slotted Head Matte finish yesterday. if you don't have a Mahogany then give it a go. After you get yur Mainland then you can start saving for that expensive 4 figure uku if you still have the craze. UAS is a costly though reward thing.

And on a personal side note. this was my 100th post. I am now a Senior Member. Woo Hoo. Do I get to know the secret Hand shake now?

wait... you want us to convince you to buy another uke?! I wish I had that problem! Too many beautiful ukes out there and not enough money!

I have a Kala archtop in sunburst finish. Love it. It's total jazz coolness. Since you already have a K, you should get the archtop... has pickup and those cool F holes. And it's not expensive at all.

I'm thinking Mainland Mahogany Concert, matte.

Of course I could just be imposing my own desires upon your question.....

UAS isn't about need, it's about want. We just convince ourselves it's need.

I think you need to figure out what you really really want - which means taking some more time and listening to more people playing examples of the ones you're looking at. Speaking as someone who learned what he wanted through the acquisition/disposition process - I wish I'd just had more patience!

Call Chuck over at Moore Bettah ukes. Tell him what you want/need/gottahave. In the time it takes for him to build it, you will have already learned to appreciate what is coming, have saved the cash to purchase it, and will dig it all the Moore.

Top Bottom