Ukulele syllabus

DWUke

Reaction score
I've just started to play the 'uke, and have purchased a couple of books - Ukulele in the Classroom by Chalmers Doane, and Mel Bay's Book 1. I'm working my way through the books, but lose focus because I don't really know where I should be heading. Does anyone have a syllabus for ukulele - i.e. objectives to work toward? Something like the following:

By the end of this section, the learner will be able to
Pick Mary had a little lamb using a songsheet
Sing Mary had a little lamb and play accompanying chords
Pick Mary had a little lamb without a songsheet
etc.

The books are OK, but the objectives aren't clearly stated.

K ive deleted my reply 2 times already by clicking +reply thread when I'm finished, so hopefully 3rd times a charm

you should try to set your own goals. I dont have any books, so i have had to learn on my own, and set my own goals. First i learned C, G7, and F chords. I then learned a couple songs that use those chords and i am able to play along to songs on youtube that use them. I am now learning Wonderful World. It has a few more chords and Ive tried to learn a couple strum patterns with it... not sure whats next, but I assume i will try a new song that has a few more chords i can learn, and maybe a picking part!

I think you have the right idea though with your list of objectives, just keep it going!

Ive only been playing for 2 weeks, so take my advice for what its worth lol

:)

I've been playing for a little while to and use a similar approach, i try to find songs i like and learn to play them the internet is a great resource use it.

it all totally depends on where you wanna go.
Books are excellent for absolute beginners, but eventually, you should start just lookin at a chord sheet and memorizing those. You can be creative and make up your own progressions, or you can look up chords to songs and learn them.
As far as strumming patterns go, sometimes your best bet is just to listen and imitate songs. there are also excellent tutorial videos all over youtube and the internet. give them a search.
Then I would look into reading music and/or tab.

good luck!

it is a good idea to have some starting point. i am teaching my wife to play at the moment and she, to put it kindly, is a musical idiot.

i started here with a C then and F then a G. you can play about a million songs with just these three. i then taught her c7 g7 f7 d d7 since these variations appear often in said million songs. then i taught A Am B Bm and e e7 this is as far as we have got.

in the end i am trying to teacher practical song playing to enjoy it, not music theory but these are the chords she has picked up. at the moment we are learning the bear necessities and already she is starting to figure out chords for herself. we have a chord sheet on the wall.

Top Bottom