Kamaka white label koa concert ukulele

menehune25

Reaction score
I was just wondering if $525.00 for a Kamaka white label koa concert ukulele in great condition is a good price.

Thanks

Allen

I was just wondering if $525.00 for a Kamaka white label koa concert ukulele in great condition is a good price.

It would be best to be able to play first, of course, but I'd have to say that's a fine price.

Kamaka and KoAloha were the two brands I was looking into most when I decided to quit playing cheapies. I had decided on KoAloha for a variety of reasons, none of which were slams on Kamaka, when I stumbled on the great introductory price for a Glyph and the rest is, as they say, hysteria.

I'd say that's a good price. If I were in the market, I would have expected to pay closer to $600 for a concert Kamaka. I've played two very similar Kamaka concerts made of koa with white labels, and they sound pretty nice, but I've played cheaper ukes that sounded better IMO. Still, that's a good price for the uke...not as good as what my friend paid though: 100 dollars.

Thanks for the reply from both of you! I plan on playing it first before i buy it. Are there any hidden spots on the uke that i need to inspect or things to look for besides the obvious?

I assume you're talking about a vintage 70's "white label" Kamaka here... I'm not an expert on pricing, but most of the white label Kamaka sopranos seem to go in the $300 range on eBay. There aren't that many concerts that come across eBay from what I've seen though.

You may want to ask about this over on the Fleamarket Music board.
http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bulletin/default.asp
There are some people there who are into vintage ukes and may be able to help out. I asked about vintage (60's and 70's) Kamakas once and was told that this period had thin tops, so watch for top warpage. That's about all I know though...

I assume you're talking about a vintage 70's "white label" Kamaka here... I'm not an expert on pricing, but most of the white label Kamaka sopranos seem to go in the $300 range on eBay. There aren't that many concerts that come across eBay from what I've seen though.

You may want to ask about this over on the Fleamarket Music board.
http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bulletin/default.asp
There are some people there who are into vintage ukes and may be able to help out. I asked about vintage (60's and 70's) Kamakas once and was told that this period had thin tops, so watch for top warpage. That's about all I know though...

Hi UkuleleAddiction,

Well the ad says its an early 90's Kamaka white label concert uke. Do they say what year they were made on the label? Thanks for the info!

http://www.kamakahawaii.com/ukedating.html

In dating Kamaka ukuleles, the headstock decal and the interior label are significant. The trademark "double K" decal was used on Kamaka ukuleles beginning in 1954. This decal was used in conjunction with an interior gold label bearing the words "Kamaka Ukulele" in red and black lettering that matched the font of the decal. This combination of decal and label was used until 1969.

In 1969, the gold label was replaced by a smaller interior label with a white background and the same trademark red and black lettering. However, the same double K headstock decal remained in use. From 1978 to 2000, a "Samuel Kamaka, Luthier" label was also applied to the custom ukuleles.

A new, more regal label was designed to celebrate the 85th anniversary of the company. This interior label has been in use since January 1, 2001. It features the signatures of Sam Jr. and Fred Sr., a purple cape behind an updated double K trademark, and the words "Kamaka Ukulele" in vermillion with gold outlining. A matching "Samuel Kamaka, Luthier" label is also used when applicable. 2001 also marked a change from the traditional double K decal to a pearl-inlaid double K design on all headstocks.

Sorry, I'm really not much of an expert on vintage Kamakas. I know there were "white label" and "gold label", and I believe the gold label ones are older. But how long they still used the "white label" I don't know. If that ad and price came up near me, I know I'd definitely go and check it out though!

Edit: I guess seeso did the sensible thing and went to the K website...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Seeso. This really helps me. Thank you too UkuleleAddiction for your info. I certainly will check out this ukulele.

Allen

Top Bottom