how much can CBUs sell for?

I can't right now, cause my microphone is bust and I can't find my camera. They do sound quite nice though (steel strung) What is the average price for CBUs in general?

They seem to be going for $100 - $150 range for well made ones.
Homemade stuff goes for under $100

I sell mine for $100 on a regular basis...I could probably get more, but I'm content with what I get for what I'm doing right now. I can also say that I like mine alot better than MOST the other ones I've seen on ebay and in my cigar box circles (mind you...most, and not ALL). I'm still in the earlier stages of building (about a solid year now, starting with cbguitars), so I cant justify much more than that right now. You can get alot of ukulele for just a few hundred bucks, my goal really is to compete with the $150 market (which I think is reasonable), but eventually be as good as a $300 manufactured uke. It's a lofty goal, I know...but I think I'm doing pretty good on my first goal. The second goal, however is a different story altogether.

your first generation...you realistically should just either give away, throw away, or let your kids abuse them. MAYBE get cost out of them, but that's bout it
2nd generation: after you start to get the hang of it, expanding a bit...you should get cost out of them, maybe a hair more
3rd generation is when you should start making instruments of reasonable quality, and you should probably ask a little less than reasonable price
4th generation you should be pretty solid in asking what you want

I'm just pitchin' pennies here...take it for what its worth. I estimate myself somewhere in the 3rd generation of ukes, and just now considering steps to make in approaching 4

Thanks cornfedgroove, currently I'm just selling them to my friends for purely the cost of materials

I can't right now, cause my microphone is bust and I can't find my camera. They do sound quite nice though (steel strung) What is the average price for CBUs in general?

alot of posts while I was typing...its also my humble opinion, that ukers are gonna prefer traditional nylon strings. A sandwhich isnt a sandwich w/o Miracle Whip...and an uke isnt an uke w/o nylon strings. I'm just saying that ukes have nylon strings, ukers play ukes with nylon strings, ukers buy ukes with nylon strings...if you wanna make sales, play the numbers:)

the only reason I'll ever make a steel string uke is if I'm gonna wire up a magnetic pup, tone and volume on it. I will one day, just been lazy...I'll call it "the shredder"

Ahh, thanks for the advice. The reason they're steel strung is that I made an acoustic/electric to start with, and LOVED the sound of the steel ones

did you use a piezo or magnetic pup?

cuz you can amp it w/o steel strings, as I'm sure you realize

Top Bottom