Do you use a strap?

Do you use a strap and did you or someone else install a strap button?

• Total voters

rreffner

Reaction score
OK, how many of you use a ukulele strap consistently and how many installed a strap button themselves?

Last edited:
I've never used a strap on my ukulele. It would have to be a very, very bad ukulele to warrant using a strap....

I do not use a strap, but I wouldn't be averse to using one. I may use one in the future.

I went about 18 months before I got a uke with a pickup in it which provided me the opportunity to use a strap (bc most pickup inputs also serve as strap buttons). It change my life. I dont think I will ever buy a uke again without getting a strap button installed (or a pickup). It makes everything so much better and is so much easier to play certain things. I love em. Nuff said. I LOVE THEM

I sometimes use a strap on my tenor and I think it gives me a little more freedom when plugged in (the weight of the cord messes with my balance a little). I happened across a shell belt/strap type thing in a friend's shop that I thought would make a neat strap and put it to use -- otherwise, I might not have bothered. I had previously installed a pickup and jack, so I only had to add a button to put it into use. I don't use one on my concert or soprano, but I don't plug those in either.

Have fun!

GS-STRAP.jpgGS-BUTTON.jpgGS-JACK.jpg

strap use

i have two ukes.
on my acoustic i do not play with a strap, and on my electric i do use a strap (which i installed the end pin for myself)
sometimes when playing shows it helps to have the option of letting go of the uke for a second before or after you play, also, the strap can ensure i use good "uke posture"

I had a MiSi pickup installed in my Kala tenor and I have been thinking about trying a strap with that to see how I like it. Right now, I am mostly playing sitting down.

No strap on my soprano, strap buttons installed by my uncle on my tenors : )

Hasn't this poll/ discussion been started numerous times before?

Anyway. I use a strap on ALL my ukes. Couldn't play without one.

I don't...but I would if my Uke had a strap button. Hmm...I'm thinking about getting one installed perhaps. How much would that cost me?

I don't...but I would if my Uke had a strap button. Hmm...I'm thinking about getting one installed perhaps. How much would that cost me?

you can get the buttons for less than 2 bucks. They're a piece of cake to install, just measure twice to find the right spot, then drill your hole, then screw in the button

Strapless here. But I always play sitting down (I was a classical guitar player before I took up uke) and only have a tenor, so it rests nicely on my right thigh for balance.

If I were to find myself in a situation of needing to play standing up, I wouldn't hesitate to have a strap button installed. I wouldn't do it myself, my expertise with power tools is more along the lines of the vacuum cleaner and the blender.

But I would trust my husband to be able to do it right for me. He's like Tim 'the toolman' Taylor with a garage full of specialty tools. Heck, just to do yardwork, we got all this:

power mower
weed whacker
edger
2 different size hedge trimmers
telescoping loppers
shears
leaf blower

... and for those really tough jobs and because he's a MAN, we have a friggin chain saw. :rolleyes:

I don't use a strap on my soprano Dolphin, but I do on my gigging uke, which is a tenor. The strap button is an endpin jack from the pickup which was a DIY install.

Now I've quit the band I guess I could lose the strap if I wanted, but it's still handy for the pub sessions as a safety precaution against dropping my uke!

Top Bottom