looking for which type of string to use on my Uku

Sic_Rob

Reaction score
So a friend sent me a Makala MK-S Uku as a gift. it came with these black nylon strings. I have been lucky enoguh that my other 2 uku's came with Aqullia's. Can someone tell me if the stock strings on these uku's are worth keeping or should I change them, i always hear how changing the strings really changes the sound so I was wondering if I should change them. All opinions welcome.

So a friend sent me a Makala MK-S Uku as a gift. it came with these black nylon strings. I have been lucky enoguh that my other 2 uku's came with Aqullia's. Can someone tell me if the stock strings on these uku's are worth keeping or should I change them, i always hear how changing the strings really changes the sound so I was wondering if I should change them. All opinions welcome.
The stock black strings probably aren't worth much. I bought Makala Dolphins for the family for Christmas and restrung all of them with Aquilas. Musicguymic does the same for most ukes that have stock GHS strings (which is probably what your black ones are). Aquilas really do a nice job with lower-end ukes, but there are about as many opinions about strings are there are drops of water in the ocean...you really have to hear them and decide what sounds best to you, but I'd suggest starting with Aquilas - especially since you're familiar with them!

Aquilas bring out the best in cheap ukes. Maybe keep the stock strings around in case you break an Aquila and need a spare to tide you over, but definitely make the switch to Aquilas and it'll be like a whole 'nother uke.

Have you played it with the stock black strings? Usually, one changes strings cause they don't like the tone, sound or feel of the strings. And yes, it's the simplest and most inexpensive upgrade one can make. But, at least try the stock strings before jumping on the bandwagon. A couple of days will be all the more reason to justify switching them out. Just my dos centavos. I'm pretty sure Kala uses Aquila as their stock string.

Top Bottom